In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ljungman AG-42B

AR15_MANAR15_MAN Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking for some information on the Ljungman AG-42B, mainly Historical information, where I can locate accessories, and especially info on the wooden blanks/blank adapter. Curious how that is supposed to work.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one many years ago. Before the resources on the net were available. Nowadays there are a number of Swedish military sites on the net. That have a lot of information on not only the Ljungman, buy the whole spectrum of Swedish military firearms.

The blank adaptor screwed on the end of the threaded barrel. It's function was to break up the wooden bullets into little pieces. So that they would not be dangerous at a distance of more then 50 yds.

Firing the Ljungman off hand was chore, for a fatty with short arms. Believe me it was made for a Swede 6'2" basketball player. Humping it around out in the desert, it had all the ergonomics of a 4 X 4.

Beautifully made, way better then the Egyptian Hakim copy. Be super careful of the cocking cover on top of the receiver though. It's a potential finger chopper, if you aren't careful.

Don't believe that the Ljungman would function semi automatically with the Swede wooden bullet blanks. Not enough pressure to cycle the bolt.

I understood that they had special blanks, with a red plastic bullet. For their Carl Gustav submachine gun. Wouldn't be surprised, if they also had the same for the Ljungman. With a entirely different blank firing adaptor for the muzzle.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I have two of these wonderful and well made rifles. From time to time you can find acc in SGNews and Gun List and on the net. The weapon was the semi-rifle of the squad and like all Swede weapons, craftsmanship is first class. But it is heavy and like Rufe says, you got to watch your fingers when you are cranking the guy up to fire as the cocking lever can catch you unawares and it really moves quick (kinda like getting your hand out of the way when loading an M1 Garand). At one time you could get nightsights for the AG which come in a nice little plastic kit and fit over the front sights...very nice but rare today. Rufe has clued you in on how the blank adapter works.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for all the info, I really appreciate it. Until about 2 months ago I had never seen an AG-42B, now I can't stop looking for parts! I was fortunate enough to find one that was a safe queen and in absolutely mint condition! Thank you again for your help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One question on the blank firing adapter, where do the pieces of wood go? This adapter I have screws on the end of the muzzle, but there is no hole on the end of the adapter, only the sides. I bought two of these from two different places that identified them as for the AG-42B, Im sorry if I sound confused...I am! Thanks in advance!

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I had one many years ago. Before the resources on the net were available. Nowadays there are a number of Swedish military sites on the net. That have a lot of information on not only the Ljungman, buy the whole spectrum of Swedish military firearms.

The blank adaptor screwed on the end of the threaded barrel. It's function was to break up the wooden bullets into little pieces. So that they would not be dangerous at a distance of more then 50 yds.

Firing the Ljungman off hand was chore, for a fatty with short arms. Believe me it was made for a Swede 6'2" basketball player. Humping it around out in the desert, it had all the ergonomics of a 4 X 4.

Beautifully made, way better then the Egyptian Hakim copy. Be super careful of the cocking cover on top of the receiver though. It's a potential finger chopper, if you aren't careful.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They pretty much don't leave the adapter, turn into toothpicks and sawdust. You could probably use this:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/ljungmann_ag_42b.pdf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for this information, it is invaluable!

quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    They pretty much don't leave the adapter, turn into toothpicks and sawdust. You could probably use this:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to add that the message board link isn't about military rifles, it does have what I believe are Swedish women, but I didn't stick around long enough to look for rifles! LOL! Thanks again for the AG info, it is very informative!

quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    I have two of these wonderful and well made rifles. From time to time you can find acc in SGNews and Gun List and on the net. The weapon was the semi-rifle of the squad and like all Swede weapons, craftsmanship is first class. But it is heavy and like Rufe says, you got to watch your fingers when you are cranking the guy up to fire as the cocking lever can catch you unawares and it really moves quick (kinda like getting your hand out of the way when loading an M1 Garand). At one time you could get nightsights for the AG which come in a nice little plastic kit and fit over the front sights...very nice but rare today. Rufe has clued you in on how the blank adapter works.

Another nice acc for the AG-42 is a 30rd mag. I found a couple several years ago and grabbed them quick. Like the rifle they are very well made and turn the thing into an accurate shooting beast! But they are hard to find and expensive. I sold one of my AG's several months ago and offered the buyer both for a reasonable price and he turned them down! Couldn't believe it....each had 30rds of 6.5x55 too! Anyway, good luck with your rifle...I think you will like it...can't beat the Swedes![:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gary, if you still have those mags I would be interested in buying them!

Another nice acc for the AG-42 is a 30rd mag. I found a couple several years ago and grabbed them quick. Like the rifle they are very well made and turn the thing into an accurate shooting beast! But they are hard to find and expensive. I sold one of my AG's several months ago and offered the buyer both for a reasonable price and he turned them down! Couldn't believe it....each had 30rds of 6.5x55 too! Anyway, good luck with your rifle...I think you will like it...can't beat the Swedes![:)]