In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Eye sight

wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Been wearing glasses for close to 50 years now. Have begun having problems focusing on the front sights even with new glasses. Blood suger a bit higher than it should be. Enjoy using the iron sights. Any suggestions other than putting a scope on everything?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cataracts maybe.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both parents have had the cataract surgery so probably inherited the problem. I guess the question is: do any of these vision supplements I've seen advertised work? Can an eye doctor "create" glasses just for shooting purposes?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wiz1997,

The human eye, is built to sharply focus on one plane. However, the younger, and healthier eye's can adjust to somewhat focus, on a picture of two or three different planes. However, only one of those planes, will be perfectly crisp.

As we grow older, the stigmatism, sets in, and alters the eye's ability, and along with other aliments, like diabetes, they fail even further. I am there in the same playing field as you are. I am a type 2 diabetic, and have been since 2001. I have not had any problems with my eyes, until, about 2 years ago.

I have found, that on long guns, like my BPCR, and some older 22's, that the use of a peep sight, helps. The eye automatically centers in the aperture of the peep, in focus, or not, and eliminates one of the 3 planes of focus. I can still hit a gallon milk jug at 400 yards, with my Vernier Creedmoor sight, on my 1885 Browning BPCR rifle, chambered in 45-70 Gov't. The rest of my hunting, and long range rifles, wear good glass.

Other than that, with hand guns, I have gone to Burris 3-12x handgun scopes for my hunting handguns, and the small holographic sights on the target handguns. My carry guns, still wear the iron sights, as the distance of which they would be used are somewhat shorter.

Hope this helps with situation.

Best
  • Options
    4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine had bifocals put on the top of the lens.
    He said it worked, even for working over head .
    Good luck.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Champions choice used to sell a supplemental lens that would clear up the arm length focal plane that would mount on either the brim of a hat or on the glasses frame it self. There is also a small suction cup device MERIT LENS that has and adjustable Appature so you are looking through a small hole" think pin hole camera with good outside light this works well Look at www.champchoice catalog they have a different ones of those and Owner HOMER can explain how they work.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wiz1997,

First get a good ophthalmologist to give you an examination to determine what type of problem you're having. Then decide on a course of action. Some problems can be corrected with surgery, others require hardware and patience.

quote:Can an eye doctor "create" glasses just for shooting purposes?

You betcha! I started noticing that I was dropping a bird every now an then on the trap range so I had a discussion with my ophthalmologist. He is a shooter so he allows other shooters to bring their rifles and handguns into the office to measure. He has created several different pairs of glasses for me especially since I switched from shotguns to rifles. I can shoot irons for Palma then switch to another pair when I shoot run and gun tactical matches.

There are some real fancy ones the high end shooters use but I have mostly standard frames with specially ground lenses.

The Merit lens system does work for some types of correction and will be somewhat less expensive than the glasses.

Best.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for a shooting ophthalmologist. The one that work with me when I was a kid was great.

I have 2 up to more shots in the left eye (that was fixed for a cataract 2 years ago) then perhaps some laser work at the edge of the implant. Left eye back to 20/30 was 20/20 then down to 20/40. Right eye is still 20/400+.

I just got a pair of adjustable glasses that go from -6 to +3. I'm taking the HD Military out later today for some quality time to see how well they will work for me shooting

http://www.adlens.com/ I have the EmergenseeT ones and I like them so far. Be aware that they provide a tunnel vision effect on in focused sight.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am like forgemonkey, my pistol shooting glasses have the right lens focused on the front sight, the left lens at distance.

I got mine from Alan Lehman in Arizona.
    Describe your situation, your application, your age, and your present prescription and he will send you three trial lenses. Hold them up over your regular glasses and see which one clears up the front sight the best without blurring the background TOO bad. He will make glasses with the master eye adjusted by that amount.

You can consult with Decot or Morgan Optical for shooting glasses, too.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm 64 and have been using gradient lenses (i.e., no line(s) and the curvature of the lens varies the index of refraction) for about twenty years and find they work fine for any viewing distance just need to find that part of the lens which brings everything into focus. It takes a little getting use to but you become accommodated to them after a while. They're well worth the additional cost and you wont want anything else. You can also get them in photo-chromatic (light sensitive sun glasses) and in tempered glass which is more durable.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Bill I always thought you looked at things through Rose colored glasses [}:)][;)] Now I know I was right[:D][8D]

I had sever astigmatism and near sighted Then I got sever Floaters at about age 65. Had operation to get rid of floaters and then lens implant for the lens implant I had TOPOGRAPH of my cornea made and lens made to correct that now my eye sight in that eye is 20/15 Wish I had done that years ago the best correction I ever had with glasses up to that time was 20/40