In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GLOCK CONVERSIONS QUESTION

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
If you have a Glock 19 Gen 3 can I buy a .40SW barrel for this or do I need Glock 23 and buy the 9mm barrel for this ?

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    If you have a Glock 19 Gen 3 can I buy a .40SW barrel for this or do I need Glock 23 and buy the 9mm barrel for this ?

The second thing.

You can convert from 40SW to 9mm with a barrel swap, but not the other way around. External barrel dimension on a 40SW barrel is too large to fit through the slide opening on a 9mm Glock. Edit: Smaller diameter breechface on a 9mm gun also probably doesn't allow seating of a wider 40SW case.

If you are swapping from 40SW to to 9mm with a barrel, some advocate also changing extractors for increased reliability. I'd say that depends on what your doing with the gun (eg if you're running 9mm "for fun/practice" it probably doesn't matter). Note that the DIRECTION of the ejected case may change a bit if you're running 9mm through a 40SW gun with the 40SW extractor.

Its likely possible to convert your Glock 19 to 40SW if you swap the entire upper (barrel, spring, slide), but unless you find a bargain upper somewhere, the new upper will cost almost as much as an entire new gun, and probably isn't cost effective.

Edit #2: This is now getting off topic, but if you're really looking for a "one gun / many calibers" platform, probably the best one is the Tanfoglio T95, which is marketed by EAA as the "Witness" in the USA.

That platform was designed specifically to facilitate caliber conversion, which is much more of a useful thing in Europe where getting ANY handgun can be a huge hassle. The large frame version of the Tanfoglio can take: .22LR, 9mm luger, .40SW, .38 Super, 45 ACP, and 10mm auto with drop in factory uppers. You can also get 9x21 (though you probably don't want to), and supposedly you can run 9x23 through a stock .38 super upper without issue (though you do so at your own risk!). At least one third party vendor offers a 357 SIG conversion too. That's the max variety of off-the shelf conversion calibers for any stock handgun I know of.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when I lived in NY my county regulations made it a PAIN in the butt to add a new pistol to my ccw, so I had several pistols with a caliber conversion "kit" that I assembled so as to be able to shoot different calibers, not much cheaper then buying another pistol, but, a lot easier then dealing with the painful bureaucracy .
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lone Wolf Distributors, is one of the primary Glock sources on the net. I have bought a number of different Glock barrels from them, over the years.

On their website, they sell the different types of Glock barrels. Both original and aftermarket. They also note which conversion barrels can be used in different Glocks.

I bought my 9mm conversion barrel, for my .40 S & W, M 27, from them. If your going to buy a 9mm conversation barrel for a .40 caliber Glock. Be sure and also buy 9mm magazines. I have had jams trying to shoot 9mm in .40 caliber magazines.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you fellas..