In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt series 70

Mapsana6Mapsana6 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a unfired, in the original box, Colt Government model series 70/Mark IV with a SM23xxx serial number. The box is marked the same. Apparently this particularly gun was shipment in 1979.

I understand that there were about 3000 of them marked this way.
I have been unable to find information on past sales and current values.

Can anyone provide assistance?

Thanks

Ron

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello during this time period Colt had a problem with the right hand knowing what the left hand was doing [:(]when it came to serial numbers that incorporated letters as well as numbers. The frames were serial numbered. But then when all the parts were added to make a complete pistol those parts sometimes did not match the configuration of what the letters and numbers of the frame depicted [V] The 2 letters SM depicted that this was supposed to be a Service Model Ace complete pistol . That would use the same type frame. As long as the label on the box has the same configuration
    as the pistol inside every thing is Correct . How ever if frame is marked SM and label states it is a 22CAL ACE BUT THE PISTOL HAS A 45acp SLIDE AND BARREL Then you would have a pistol that someone swapped parts after it left the factory.

EDIT what we are saying is search on series 70 New in the box 45ACP the way yours is marked is not rare and has NO extra value
    over a standard 45ACP with the normal markings In fact to me it would be worth LESS as quality control was very poor during this Time frame
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen it said as many as 3600 .45s were made with "SM" serial number prefix, close enough. I have the mirror image, an ACE bought new by me with "70B" serial prefix.

Colt is not real careful about such stuff and nobody seems to get excited about it. I think it will be a long time before yours or mine is worth more than a gun in the usual serial number range. A very long time for mine because I shoot it regularly and have made some changes to suit my needs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Box is marked as "Government Model Mark IV/ Series'70" .45.
    Paperwork in the box is for a Government Model .45 as well.
    The 1980 receipt from the LGS has the SM S/N and noted .45.

Have you seen values on these guns ?

Thanks
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way to find the value of a common recently made gun is to check the GunBroker COMPLETED listings. Click the ADVANCED button, sort by HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS FIRST, & exclude reserve auctions.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried your search suggestions and nothing showed up.
    I am either real dumb or a "SM" marked Colt Mk IV is a true rarity.
    Maybe the "SM" is not a selling point?

Thanks for the suggestion.