In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DASIY bb gun

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,614 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have several + daisy bb guns , my question is if I decided to refinish one ( not a collector gun ) what do you use to get the blue / black finish on the metal parts is it paint or a bluing process to get the original look thanks

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Daisy and I am no expert, but I think they are painted. Bluing would make them too expensive.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not an expert either,,but I believe the metal is not up to standards for blueing,,paint is what I see,and Brownells has some good stuff.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the era, some were blued and some painted. Go to the website DaisyKing.com, click on History. Your number & model i.d. info will be stamped on top left of receiver.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks every one I thought maybe both finishes were used . I will check out the web site , just another project I want to get around too .
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluing is actually relatively inexpensive when its done on new finished parts in large quantity.

It was also cheaper to do it in days past compared to today, because there was less stringent regulation and waste disposal was much cheaper.

I think Yonson has it. Unlike today's painted metal and plastic, prior to the early 1950s, the Daisy guns were actually made out of good old fashioned blued steel and wood. As hard as it is to believe some of the WWII era Daisy guns actually came with detachable bayonets!

To answer the question, personally, for something like this (blued or not) I'd probably use one of the many gun refinishing products intended for home use, like Gunkote, or something like that.

True rebluing probably doesn't make sense for something like this. If the gun in question has collectors value, you probably wouldn't want to reblue it because that will detract from the collectors value. If the gun DOESN'T have collectors value (or at least SERIOUS sentimental/personal value), its probably just not worth the expense and effort to do a home-rebluing for just one piece. If its just a sort of "touch up", you could use one of the cold rebluing products.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still have my old Daisy (1st gun, bought new about 1953), came painted black w/plastic stock & forearm.