In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bushmaster varmint rifle accuracy

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know if these rifles are capable of sub-minute of angle accuracy (with proper match or custom reloads. They have 20 and 24 inch heavy barrels and are not chrome lined.

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Lew Horton heavy stainless barrel Bushmaster. It came with a gritty trigger and replaced it with a Bill Gissele SSA, which made it more accurate. I still use the iron sights at the 100yd range and it's quite a decent gun. I can make cloverleafs on paper.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got me a 24" non-fluted Stainless Varminter upper and a two stage Bushmaster trigger. Basically the Bushmaster Varminter with a Franklin Arms reciever. Only way I was able to get a Bushmaster Varminter.

Haven't really did much with her when I got her other than run some ammo down range. The glass I have ain't all that great and when I did get her there was also a shortage of ammo.

She printed well enough and at the pre-panic price I think I did good. So ho much are they going for now?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the major manufacturers, DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, and Stag, have Vermonters, or a slightly lighter profile, called the Predator, that will hold well under MOA. Most come with a good 2 stage trigger.

I have two Rock River's, a 18 inch Predator, and 16 inch Varminter, that will hold near 1/2 MOA, out to 3oo yards or better, using the Barnes 62 grain TSX bullet. That not only makes it a Varmint/Predator rifle, but a deer rifle, too. I did get rid of the two stage trigger's, and installed the Timney trigger's, with the anti-walk pin set. They both wear Vortex Viper PST for glass.

I know the deer rifle part will be contested, especially by those who have had bad experience with lesser chambering's, and lesser bullets on deer. The Barnes TSX bullet, brings out amazing capabilities of this round. Using both the 45 grain TSX, in an T/C Encore chambered in 223, and the 62 grain TSX in the AR platform(because of the faster twist in the AR, it likes the heavy bullet better, which makes it an even better combination), I have broken both shoulders on broadside deer, out to 200 yards. That bullet penetrates, expands, and does not come unglued. No, it is not a combination for pushing/driving deer, it is a stand sitting rifle, used for putting the bullet where it needs to go, on a standing deer.

Best

EDIT 1

I do believe that you will get better accuracy form the shorter 16-20, fatter, solid contour barrels, at least from my experience. They seem to be stiffer.

Best
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should be nearly as accurate as any other brand of similar type rifle. As far as chrome lining goes it does not contribute to a rifles accuracy. In fact many people believe just the opposite.
  • Options
    dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your response. And thank you armilite for answering my next question before I asked!
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Bushmaster Varminter, 24" fluted with 2 stage trigger. After sighting in the Leupold VX2 scope & a break-in period (fire, clean, fire, repeat), it printed a 5 shot group of just under 1" @ 100 yards with Winchester 69 Gr. match ammo. I haven't had time to work up a good handload yet, but I'm certain better groups are in this rifle's future.