In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 100 Carbine .284

KeithNystKeithNyst Member Posts: 19
edited May 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have an opportunity to purchase a Winchester Model 100 284 carbine. I know is is a rare model, but have no idea what a fair offer would be. I would estimate it is 90-95%. What would be a fair price be for both parties? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a current one to watch. http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=417168258

You could do an advanced search in completed auctions to see what they actually sell for.

There was safety recall on the 100's iirc on the firing pin.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Is your model 100 a pre or post 64 rifle?
    The easiest way to tell is the checkering, pre 64 has cut checkering, post 64 has stamped basket weave checkering.
    There is a significant price difference.
    As Charlie stated, check the auction side.
    W.D.
  • Options
    KeithNystKeithNyst Member Posts: 19
    edited November -1
    Thanks so far; I'm looking for info/prices on a Model 100 Carbine 284, not the rifle. The carbine came out in either 67 or 68; they have plain, uncheckered stocks.

The completed auctions was a great tip. There was one, and only one .284, that showed up and it was really recent. It sold for $1340; I think the one I'm looking at may actually be better condition, but I don't know if it is a first year model.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on checking the firing pin recall.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe that the recall had to do with the rotating front or lead element/component of the bolt.

After that portion of mine blew to bits - forty plus years ago - I heard of the recall and had mine repaired.

The metal of that portion was too brittle and was prone to failure. Mine was rather exciting and dramatic.

Experienced no subsequent failures or problems and there have been many thousands of rounds through it since then.

================================

Bert H. - as per my email - thanks very much for investing your time and energy into the correction, clarify and complete information regarding the Winchester Model 100 firing pin situation/problem.

Alan
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing
    Believe that the recall had to do with the rotating front or lead element/component of the bolt.

After that portion of mine blew to bits - forty plus years ago - I heard of the recall and had mine repaired.

The metal of that portion was too brittle and was prone to failure. Mine was rather exciting and dramatic.

Experienced no subsequent failures or problems and there have been many thousands of rounds through it since then.

Alan,

It had nothing to do with the bolt. it was the firing pin, and if the firing pin broke, it could cause the gun to fire out of battery, which could damage the bolt.

The following is the recall notice;

"IMPORTANT Recall info:

WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL - A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following.

"PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE.

Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester. It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE.

Repair and replacement. A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below.

Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be at your cost."

W. R. Long Gunsmiths
    2007 Brook Road North
    Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4
    Canada

Frank LeFever & Sons
    RD 2 Box 31
    Lee Center, NY 13363
    USA

Bolsa Gunsmithing
    7404 Bolsa Avenue
    Westminister, CA 92683
    USA

Nu Line Guns
    1053 Caulks Hill Road
    Harvester, MO 63303
    USA
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The completed repairs on model 100's had a letter stamp on the underside of the bolt. Remove the magazine, look at the bolt without retracting it and if you see any stamped letter than the repairs had been made. I just remember seeing an "L" letter stamp and maybe there was an X as i recall.