In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping to california long guns

argie1891argie1891 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am totally confused and need some help. I sold a single shot ruger number 1 to a buyer in California I only have a crffl. buyer says I must ship from a ffl holder to ffl holder in cal. now I was wondering if I could ship it directly to his ffl without going through a dealer. maybe his dealer wont take a shipment form a not ffl holder if I could leagally ship and he makes me send through a ffl I think he should pay the difference.. thanks in advance grizzly10x22

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he wants you to ship from a FFL, to his FFL. He has to pay the FFL your shipping it through.

It would be best on your future auctions. To note that the buyer is responsible for the FFL fees. If he wants it to be shipped from a FFL.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You can ship directly to any dealer but the dealer is under no obligation to accept the shipment and can insist on dealer-dealer.

This is a common problem and is not limited to California. You and the buyer will have to hammer out the issues of additional fees.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an ffl dealer and have shipped to CA before. I know the shipping dealer has to be registered with the CA DOJ, maybe is the Atty Gen of CA, then for each firearm to be shipped you have to request and get a import, maybe it is called transfer, number for the gun. A copy of the import number has to be provided the receiving dealer. Some of my terminology may not be correct but the process I have described is. It is not difficult and can be done quickly but you have to learn the process. This is why some ffl dealers don't want to ship to CA. You commented that "if I could legally ship". You can't legally ship if it is contrary to CA law. I feel for the people of CA but I would not want some prosecuting atty to get a warrant out for me I didn't jump through all the hoops.
  • Options
    argie1891argie1891 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEP IN THE FUTURE I WILL STATE IN THE LISTING ABOUT SHIPPING TO CA. AND ALSO IF IT IS REQUIRED TO SHIP TO FFL HOLDER I WILL STATE CHARGES. AS THEY SAY LIVE AND LEARN. WELL SOME POPLE NEVER LEARN BUT I CAN SAY I LEARN WHEN MONEY IS THERE PRETTY FAST. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. JOE
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you check the auctions there are quite a few sellers who state in their listings something to the effect:

The buyer's FFL must be able to accept shipments from a non dealer.

This will at least give you the upper hand to insist that any FFL fees on your end be paid for by the buyer.

As I mentioned, this is an ongoing issue across the country and we probably get two threads a month from guys wondering about the buyers dealer insisting on dealer-dealer shipments.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under law, you, as a C&R FFL holder, CAN ship to a FFL in CA. So can an unlicensed person. IF the gun is a C&R, then they will need a copy of your FFL. As a C&R FFL, you do not need to be registered with the CA DOJ. That applies to Dealers, which you are not.

IF the buyer wants the gun shipped BY a FFL in your home state, can bloody well pay the fees that will generate.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me suggest the following to get you out of the current dilemma:

Email the buyer & ask him for the phone number or email address of his dealer. Then, contact the dealer directly & ask, "Are you willing to accept delivery from me if I include a photocopy of my drivers license & C&R license with the rifle?" I have done this several times, & found most dealers are reasonable; they just need to know for certain that the information they are entering in their Bound Book is accurate.

I won't ship a gun to someone whose dealer insists upon receipt from another dealer. To perform that service, dealers in my area charge $60-100, AND I DON'T BLAME THEM. They have to make a special trip to the post office, stand in line, & fill out forms, & this is after they make Bound Book entries. Their time is money. I may spend the time, but guns are my hobby, not my business.

Neal