In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

browning 1919 problems

redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
i have a browning 1919 that is snapping/ aka failure to fire, it was converted from 308 to 8mm, is thier a difference in firing pins? thanks

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "is thier a difference in firing pins? ".........no, but there is a big differenc in primers. have you tried different ammo? also check headspace with the proper gage (not a nickle and a quarter). [;)]
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Mike said.
    My bet is you have Yugoslav 8mm surplus with the thick hard primers. They need a healthy firing pin strike to make them pop.
    Before you start tearing into it, i would try some commercial 8mm, or Romanian surplus.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    What Mike said.
    My bet is you have Yugoslav 8mm surplus with the thick hard primers. They need a healthy firing pin strike to make them pop.
    Before you start tearing into it, i would try some commercial 8mm, or Romanian surplus.

Amen. My surp Yugo ammo gets frequent failure to fire in my 1888 Commission Gewehr but works 100% in my 98 Mauser.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note (and don't ask my how I konw this [;)] ); you should be able to remove the bolt from the 1919, insert a cartridge (bullet pulled, powder dumped) in the feed pawl & 't' slot, trip the cocking leaver and the primer should fire.