In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mod 71 Tangs

DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
I realize that the long tang came first and the short came second. Why the value difference between the two?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything specific about the 71's, your requesting information on.

That said. It's usually a matter of supply and demand. If for example 10, 000 long tangs were originally made by Winchester. And only 1000 short tangs. The short tangs would be in much more collector demand. Because of fewer were made.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Long Tang variant brings a higher value for few reasons:

1. They were all "pre-war" production.
    2. The short tang variation out numbers the long tang by a 2:1 ratio (the transition from long tang to short tang took place in the 16,600 - 16,900 serial range).
    3. They look nicer (my opinion), and more closely resemmble the Model 1886.

I believe that what it comes down to for most collectors is (1) and (2).
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the long tang guns factory drilled & tapped for a tang peep sight?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richarda
    Are the long tang guns factory drilled & tapped for a tang peep sight?

No, they were not. The Model 71 was equipped with a No. 98A bolt-peep, or a 22-K barrel mounted sight. Shortly after the Model 71 was introduced, it could also be equipped with a Lyman No. 56W receiver mounted peep sight. In later years, the Lyman No. 66A replaced the No. 56W.