In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W CORE- optics

lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Ask the Experts
The purpose of getting that core is to just have fun, I am older and not serious shooter.
I have never used optics on a hand gun and the ones I have looked at are hundreds of $. Is there a beginners optic? That would fit.
I really don' want to spend a lot, only t find it's not for me.
Thanks

Pat
This was a sub-topic on another post.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With optics you get what you pay for. There is a lot of inexpensive Chinese stuff available. Try Amazon, they have lots. Also a excellent, no questions return policy. Bought one of their cheapies, ( Baska? ) for a AR years ago. Go's without saying it was caca. Sent it back, and they refunded the payment to my CC account.
  • Options
    lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks but the problem I am having is I don't know which red dot will fit the core..
    I have called/emailed S&W, midway, several others.
    I am hoping someone will read my post and have a name of those inexpensive one they have used on the core.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fortunately, this is not a tough question. Per Smith's Website the CORE gun. . .

quote:Slide [is] cut to accept the following optics - Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, Jpoint, Doctor, C-More STS, Insight MRDS

These are all reflex-type dot sights in the roughly $300-500 price range. Any should work.

There are a number of somewhat cheaper (maybe $150-200) reflex sights that are probably OK to put on a centerfire handgun (Sightmark, Primary Arms, Burris Fastfire), though I don't know if these are adaptable to the Smith plate mounting system. All of these will fit on a standard Weaver/picatinny rail, but I don't know if the Smith CORE offers some sort of base that works here. That's probably about the cheapest you can get away with, I think.

I would personally stay away from any of the Chinese made cheapies (NCstar, Barska). Optics and build quality on these is poor and I wouldn't trust them to hold up to serious back-and forth recoil snaps generated by a centerfire handgun slide. These things are OK for paintball guns or BB guns or such. . .wouldn't put one on any 'serious' handgun, even including a mostly recreational centerfire semi-auto.