In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about SPAS 12's

andyspas12andyspas12 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if the trigger groups are interchangeable between a SPAS 12 w/ fixed stock and cross bolt safety and the SPAS 12 w/folding stock and lever style safety? For that matter, what parts are interchangeable between the two? They look the same but when Franchi upgraded to the cross bolt safety, did they change a lot of internal components?

I'm asking because the fixed stock version w/ cross bolt safety and folding stock version with lever style safety are both readily available. That way I could buy both and build the one I want and use the other for parts...

Thoughts???
thx.

Comments

• Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you done a www search on 'spas 12' ?

If not you should do so.

mag
  • Options
    andyspas12andyspas12 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. And the only thing I've found is that Franchi and Benelli would change out the trigger groups for the recall that was 10 years ago. Nothing on whether or not all the components are interchangeable between the two models.
  • Options
    artvlsartvls Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you been here http://www.spas12.com/ the lever safety is not safe and should not be used. The up grade from the lever safety to the cross bolt type was done to fix the problem as the site above will show you. The stocks are inner changeable, can't see why the trigger group wouldn't. If you are asking about the small parts in the trigger group are the same? I don't know. Also watch out for the plastic buffer in the rear of the receiver, it breaks with age.
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This thing sounds like something you spend a lot of money on and finally spend some time with it and come to realize that it's really an overrated piece of crap.

rj
  • Options
    mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a spas 12 folder that HAD the lever / toggle bar saftey.
    While shooting with an associate he loaded it and when he flipped the lever off the safe mode it discharged. The muzzle jumped up as he was unprepaired for the AD and split his lip wide open. We found out the hard way, thankfully it was only a split lip.

The shot gun was taken back to shop where purchased and was subsequently sent to Fla. if I remember correctly.... and retro fitted with the side to side push button saftey (it is due to a recall for the above stated reasons). This was app 10 years ago and have no idea if anyone still has the authority to perform the replacement.

The web site Artvis lists is the only web baised source for spas information that I've come across.

If your going to use the spas with the lever it's only a matter of time and luck before you are going to have a AD. How lucky do you feel? It's Good possability some one you love may be around when you have that problem.

I see your new here with 4 posts, a reminder that "ask the experts" closes the thread after 10 posts. If you have more questions, start another question or go over to General discussion and ask there.

I still have the shotgun but the spas web site has great pictures of the saftey differances. Hope this helps, you have anymore question just shoot!
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    SPAS12 is way overrated - ok, it looks mean, but that's about it.
    It has way too many parts and gadgets.

It's a legend, but has nothing to hold it in. Owned one - never again.

If you want a real shotgun - buy any Benelli you like.
    You get so much more and the quality is far superior.
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter made it look easy....