In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin eject

whiffelballwhiffelball Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin 983 22 magnum bolt action. Many times, when I cycle the bolt to load a new cartridge, the old one doesn't eject, leaving two in the bolt area. I then have to reach in there with something small and pick out the fired case. Is this common or easy to fix? If I could figure out what is supposed to kick out the shell, I'd try to adjust it.

<< Next time you find some dangerous game, try a 22LR. Trust me. >>

Comments

• Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 783 22mag and had the same problem, broken ejector, got a new one from "gun parts corp" fixed the problem. Great rifle!

Dewayne E. Geer,NRA life member, AF&AM_Knights Templer,York Rite Mason,623 Midland TEXAS
  • Options
    whiffelballwhiffelball Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It turns out that there is no "ejector" to speak of in a 983T. When you draw the bolt back, the backside of the case smacks up against a protrusion, and that force is supposed to knock the shell out. man, I have an old single shot that has a real spring loaded ejector. That's what i'm use to, but then again, the sub-$200 prices are great. It was my first of three marlins in two months.

<< Next time you find some dangerous game, try a 22LR. Trust me. >>
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a fixed ejector you have to work the action at some speed or it won't have enough energy for it to kick the round out. That's what it sounds like to me.

Phil

Good luck and good hunting
  • Options
    SEMonkSEMonk Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the extractor on the 983 consists of two clips that are one piece clipped over the bolt. the left one provides pressure to keep the spent casing against the right clip, and also thrust to eject the casing once it reaches a protrusion on the rails that guide the bolt. the left clip is J shaped, it grabs the casing and pulls it from the chamber.

I used an pair of needle nosed pliers to bend the J shaped right clip to reduce the tension between the two clips. It took three tries to get it right, so that it still pulls the casing out and ejects it but also lets go of it.

It worked for me.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iseverything clean and lubed?? have you tried diffent brands of ammo?? my model 925 marlin shows no signs of this