In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Anybody have experience with a Model Seven in 7mm-08? What ammo brands and what accuracy are you achieving?

Thanks,
Rafter-S

Comments

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Rafter-S, I got one for a friend of mine's kid a couple years ago(got it from reddog) in a SS synthetic version. The boy is 14 years old now and he says "It doesn't kick". I would have to disagree! They are light, and fast but unpleasnt to shoot!!! A 14 year old kid is going to be "macho man" when out shooting with the big guys!! Not pleasnt on the bench but when shooting at a deer or groundhog, you won't feel a thing!!! I just think that model rifle was a tad bit overpunishing. Take it down a notch and get a .260 and it's not near as unpleasant!! Go on down to .243 and it's even more "user friendly"! My 2 cents worth! GHD
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I have used nothing but a Rem. mdl. 7 in 7mm-08 for my deer rifle for the last 7 or 8 years.I have shot deer from 20 yds. to 260 yds.They have all been one shot kills.I have owned 3 different mdl. 7's in 7-08 all three of them would place 3 shots under an inch at 100 yds. with Remington factory 140 gr. psp core lokt ammo.I personally see no reason to use any other rifle/caliber for deer.In over 40 years of hunting,i have used many rifles and calibers for deer.The Remington mdl. 7 in 7mm-08 is my favorite.
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Rem.model 7 in 7mm-08.
    This rifle has the 18.5 inch barrel and cant hold a group better than 2-3 inches with Rem. 140 gr. corelocks.
    I recently fired some handloads a guy had and it shot much,much better.
    However because ammo is limited and far more expensive than my .308 i will probably part with it.
    To it's credit recoil is slightly lower than my Mohawk in .308 but not much more.
    I myself prefer the .308.

mike
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an a-bolt but it has a very short barrel just like the model 7,..and it will throw the federal premium ammo with the 140gr nosler BT's into a 1/2" when I shoot it correctly,..and very seldom will go to 3/4",..but never more. Try the federal premium.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    red dogred dog Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with GHD-go for the 243 or 6mm!!!!
    Red Dog
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned 2 Stainless Model Sevens one in .260 and one in 7mm/08 neither one shot to my satisfaction accuracy wise, though I killed deer with both of them. I personally love the concept of the Model Seven, but find it extremely difficult to shoot well in the field because they are so front end light after scoping. I will not keep a bolt rifle that I can't get to shoot 3 shots in an inch or under at 100yds. I'm an experience handloader and my efforts to taylor a load that would do this failed in each rifle. I now have a Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm/08 that I'll never get rid of for two reasons 1) My wife bought it for my birthday a few years ago. 2) It always shoots under 1" groups at 100yds, occasionally when I do my part it does much better. I see a disproportional amount of used Stainless Model Sevens in my local gun shop and it always makes me wonder if others have had the same experience. Howa is supposed to offer their lightweight stainless in 7mm/08 this year, the black stock is painted wood instead of synthetic though[V] otherwise I'd get one, oh heck...I might anyway.
  • Options
    rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy has a beautiful model seven in 243 with the walnut stock. Shoots my handloads into a 3/8" group. I think it's wonderful.

....I never met a gun I didn't like!
  • Options
    rquackrquack Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own this gun, mine is from the first year of production with the orig walnut stock, also in 7mm-08. I also found the recoil a bit much with the 140 gr bullets. But a wise gunsmith I know recommended using 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets. Virtually no recoil @ 3000 fps(per the book, prob a bit slower thru a short barrel). Also I noted that loading the 140 gr bullets to something less than max velocity solved the recoil issue. I like the 120's loaded to the max... I can put a box of shells into less than 1" @ 100 yds. Also if accuracy is still an issue, consider bedding the action and lightening the trigger pull. these two factors removed inches from my groups using factory ammo. Also keep it clean! My barrel is somewhat sensitive to crud and copper buildup.
  • Options
    RemfarmerRemfarmer Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a fan of the Seven since it hit the market. I have two and both will never part from me. My favorite is a 7/08 which is a deer hunters dream and the other a .223 that can hold its own with a varmint barreled gun for three shot groups.
    My 7/08 has the old 18 1/2" barrel granted a little short but a joy to carry. I shoot 139-140 gr. handloads with about as much 4064 powder as it will hold. This rifle likes it as much as the deer hate it. This is my "go to" gun.
    The .223 shoots a 55gr.VMax with 27.0 gr. of Win 748. OK they do bark a bit and jump on the bench but their bite is much worse. I WISH I SAW MORE OF THEM USED IN GUN SHOPS!!![:D]