In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Re-installing Conversion in Ruger Single Action

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have 2 old model Blackhawks, a flat-top .357 and a later model 357/9mm Convertible. I want to swap the original parts in the 9mm with the safety conversion in the flat-top.
Putting the original style parts back in the flat-top was a piece of cake, but putting the conversion parts into the convertible is giving me fits.
Does anyone have any advice on how to put this all back together?
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure you can put the conversion parts into a gun that has not been converted by the factory. I think that is why they have you send it to them for the conversion. Maybe someone else can answer this for certain for you.

Bode
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now you really have me waiting for further comment.
    I had thought that the conversion involved NO MODIFICATION to frame or parts, only replacement.
    No?
    I am wondering if I'm the only person who ever tried to install a conversion, though.
    I mean, who'd want to?
    ;-)
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure it's a factory conversion deal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Problem solved!
    No modifications to the frame involved.
    Simple swap of parts.
    For whatever reason, when reassembling an old model Ruger I've always put in the bolt first, then the hammer and hand.
    With the conversion unit it's quite easy if you just align the hand, hammer, trigger and transfer bar and slide them into place first, secure them with the hammer and trigger screws, and then put in the bolt. Almost impossible, at least for me, if you put in the bolt first.
    Maybe this will help someone else down the road, though like I said, the reasons for wanting to do this in the first place can't be all that common! [:D]