In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk 45Colt/45 ACP Convertible

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I bought a used 4 5/8 inch NM Blackhawk 45/Colt/45 ACP covertible revolver today in 98% condition for $339 at a local gunstore. It is nine years old but looks like new.I was surprised to learn that half or full-moon clips aren't required when shooting 45 ACP ammo. I look forward to trying it tomorrow. I have heard that some of these have undersized cylinders. Will Ruger ream these at no charge or are they OK to use as-is? Thanks for any replies.
aaaooo1ruger004.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cylinder throat dimension is what you should be concerned with. .45 ACP's are usually loaded with .451/.452 diameter bullets. .45 LC sometimes, especially with handloads can be found loaded with bullets as large as .455 diameter.

If you don't reload it won't make any difference, though. The standard test for correct cylinder throat dimension(s) is to push a unloaded bullet through the cylinder throat with your fingers. It should be a "slip" fit, i.e. you feel slight resistance as it goes through the cylinder throat.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. Since I will shoot mostly 45 acp, I'll not be very concerned and if I handload 45 Colt ammo, I'll make certain to use the proper diameter bullets.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cylinders are bored on these per revolvers, the new models are numbered on the cylinder and should not be used if the numbers do not match the frame. The ACP headspace on the case in the cylinder so it does not need a clip. The cases do not streach that much on the ACP, its something you might want to check when reloading. Nice gun, nice combo to be able to shoot, I like the ACP through this revolver.

Emmett