In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Earliest .41 Center Fire

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Was there any handgun for the .41 CF made before the Colt DA Thunderer? If so, what? Maybe the question should be whether the SAA was chambered in .41 CF before the Thunderer was marketed. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    stevemmstevemm Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .41 long Colt was introduced for the Colt 1877 (Thunderer), and later used in the SAA. The .41 short Colt was used earlier in converted cap and ball pistols. I believe it was the earliest centerfire .41.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stevemm
    The .41 long Colt was introduced for the Colt 1877 (Thunderer), and later used in the SAA. The .41 short Colt was used earlier in converted cap and ball pistols. I believe it was the earliest centerfire .41.Obviously I could be wrong, but I think all those conversions were Rimfire either in 31, 36, 38, or 44 caliber.

I think that Colt's New Line Revolver may have been the first to use the 41 Centerfire cartridge. It was made in 41 caliber from 1874 to 1879 and was available in 41 short and long Rimfire and 41 short and long Centerfire. I'm not sure exactly when during that period the centerfire was available, but serial number 5861 was chambered in 41 centerfire and it was made around 1876.

The Single Action was available in 41 Long Colt about 1885.

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by stevemm
    Old-Colts,

I agree that many of the conversions used rimfire cartidges. Cartridges of the World lists the .41 centerfire as used in conversions because it used a heal based bullit that could be used in straight bore through cylinders often found in conversions. But I can't find a reference for the date it was introduced.I know, for example, there are 1871-72 "Open Top Frontier" models in 44 CF instead of 44 Rimfire, but those were altered outside of the Colt Factory. I wonder if Cartridges of the World has made that statement based on the same thing happening, alterations outside of the factory.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    stevemmstevemm Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old-Colts,

I agree that many of the conversions used rimfire cartidges. Cartridges of the World lists the .41 centerfire as used in conversions because it used a heel based bullet that could be used in straight bore through cylinders often found in conversions. But I can't find a reference for the date it was introduced.