In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need insights.

frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
EEA, ruger, CZ in .40 (please tell me the exact model for the pistols)...which of these are the best for the money that I can depend my life with? I need a pistol with manual safety and also working on a limited budget ($550). thanks[8D][8D]

Comments

• Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frequent;

Welcome to the forum I have not read any of your previous posts but I believe this is the best place to receive help or information.

Your question begs whether you are only limiting your purchase due to price or if you wish to have the frame or models such as the EAA and CZ, Ruger etc.
    The price you listed is close or puts you in the market or very close to many of the most popular models in the 40
    S&W such as the Glock and the XD by Springfield.

So with that I would say this.
    First, have you tried any of the guns you mentioned yet for fit and personal approval?
    If not, then my first recommendation would be to go to a range with a rental program to try as many of the different models as you can before you put down your hard earned dollars. All of the guns you mentioned and others are excellent guns but not all may fit you or some may fit you better and one may be the gun for you as soon as you pick it up if ya know whattamean.

Seriously the best thing is for you to have some hands-on first and then you will have less chance of winding up with something that you do not like and will not shoot.

If not able to find a range, then go to your local gun shop and handle as many as you can, personally and then choose with as much background as you can have under your circumstances.

Once having done that of the guns you mentioned, my choice would be the CS75B in the caliber of your choice. They are one of the most dependable of that frame or model on the market then the Ruger and then the EAA.
    I would also recommend either the XD or the Glock for about the same price and given the choice, mine would be the XD but there you will get as many "personal" recommendations as there are days in the month.

Good luck my friend and enjoy your choice what ever it may be.

UncleFudd
    www.caswells.com
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Any of the pistols you mention will serve you very well. The EAA, and CZ are ones you can carry cocked and locked or double action first shot. Also with the hammer down you can lock the action with the safety. Remember the EAA is a copy of the CZ.
    I suggest you go to a local gun shop and handle each one to see which one fits you best. You need to be comfortable with your choice.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi bud, for what it may be worth..... a while back i found a kimber compact in .45 cal. (1911 format) for about the same money your talking but....... for around $300 you can get conversion which consists of a slide, barrel, and mag. which allows you to shoot .22 cal. l.r. ammo. one call, a credit card number, and about three days the conversion is sitting in your mail box. thats a new one. occasionally i see used ones at various auction sites. a monkey can switch the parts and waazoo, now i can go to the range once a week and turn loose 200+ rounds for less than three bucks. get the monkey out when i'm done and waazoo, i have my carry gun back. i can't afford to do that if i'm buying .40 or .45. cal ammo. also any 1911 style pistol built to mil. spec. will accept the conversion. might be a consideration for you.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Any of the pistols you mention will serve you very well. The EAA, and CZ are ones you can carry cocked and locked or double action first shot. Also with the hammer down you can lock the action with the safety. Remember the EAA is a copy of the CZ.
    I suggest you go to a local gun shop and handle each one to see which one fits you best. You need to be comfortable with your choice.

Agreed with the first part, that any of the above three guns (there are multiple Rugers out there, so you'd need a model spec for better comparison), would work just fine as a gun you can trust your life too.

I also agree with the last that whichever gun YOU like best is the best gun. Its a bit like saying "I need a good reliable car to commute to work in, which is better, a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan"? They are ALL good, the question is which one fits YOU better.

As to the second part, while the Italian EAA Tanfoglio Witness is a copy of the famous Czech CZ-75 pistol, they are not exact copies.

Both guns will let you engage the safety with the hammer back ("cocked and locked"). While the EAA Witness will let you lock the safety with the hammer down (gun UNcocked), you CANNOT do this with the CZ-75.

If you "de-cock" the CZ-75 (which is something you have to *VERY CAREFULLY* by pulling the trigger on a *LIVE ROUND* while lowering the hammer with your thumb, or thumb and index finger), once the hammer is down, the safety cannot be engaged, and will remain in "fire" mode.

I actually *prefer* this design, because once the hammer is down, the manual safety is redundant, in my opinion. At that point you can either go with a long heavy double action trigger pull (which acts like a safety), or alternatively, manually cock the hammer before firing (which also acts like a safety). Either way, you're safe.

And of course, you don't ever HAVE to decock the gun, unless you want to carry in double-action mode. If you want to treat it like any standard 1911-like gun, and carry cocked and locked, you can do so easily.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vdms55
    hi bud, for what it may be worth..... a while back i found a kimber compact in .45 cal. (1911 format) for about the same money your talking but....... for around $300 you can get conversion which consists of a slide, barrel, and mag. which allows you to shoot .22 cal. l.r. ammo. one call, a credit card number, and about three days the conversion is sitting in your mail box. thats a new one. occasionally i see used ones at various auction sites. a monkey can switch the parts and waazoo, now i can go to the range once a week and turn loose 200+ rounds for less than three bucks. get the monkey out when i'm done and waazoo, i have my carry gun back. i can't afford to do that if i'm buying .40 or .45. cal ammo. also any 1911 style pistol built to mil. spec. will accept the conversion. might be a consideration for you.

.22LR conversions are also available for the CZ-75 and EAA Witness (the latter, only with the large frame version).