In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

721 Remington 280 cal

douglasskiddouglasskid Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just inherited a Remington 721 in 280 Remington. The rifle is very clean and has not been altered. What is the value in this rare caliber? How many where made in this caliber? In watching the auction site, I have yet to see a 721 in 280 Remington.
THANKS

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    douglasskid,

First, the caliber is not 'rare'. It is not all that 'rare' in that rifle, either. If you have a clean standard Remington 721 in .280 it could run up to $500. But you would have to have pictures to show how clean it is.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have my book with me, neither the 721 nor the 280 are rare but a 721 in 280 may be rare. I do recall the 721 (and 722) having some "they didn't make very many of those" chamberings and the 280 may be one of them. A clean original 721 in any chambering would probably hit about $500.00. I have one in 300 H & H, notice they all seem to be in that area.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 688 made seems pretty rare to me. It is worth well more than $500.00. I too have one in 300 H&H and would not sell it for that, considering a 30-06 is bringing $350 to $450 now. I say your looking at $700.00 to $800.00 easy, maybe more........
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice rifle. I dont know much about the caliber but from what I read its like the 270. The model 721/722 is the last Remington I liked.
  • Options
    WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    98%-$775
    95%-$650

NIB $1100

These are what I collect
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few 722's and had a 721 in 06. Never knew they made a 280.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judging from a search of ended auctions, it seems that anyone that has a 721 in 280 Remington is hanging on to them for good reason. They split the 30-06 and 270 Winchester down the middle. Actually there is nothing any one of those 3 can't do that the other two could.

sandwarrior, and dfletcher have hit the nail squarely on the head though, and in minty condition, of pictures would be needed to determine that, it would bring up to $500.00...unless WarGames has a line on it........

EDIT:

Thanks Nononsense for bringing Remington's goal to light with the 721. They sure did accomplish that, and did likewise with their 788. The 788's in excellent condition are rather pricey though.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The only way that will bring upwards of $700.00 is if it's NIB....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the antithesis of these high dollar prices that everyone wants to throw around.

The Remington M721/722 rifles were manufactured cheap in order to sell cheap and capture a large part of the market that the Winchester M70 couldn't get into due to the cost of manufacturing. The M721 was retailed at $99.00 in 1962 and the Winchester M70 retailed for $350.00 in that same year.

The total production run for all chambers was approximately 118,000 units.

rem721fq2.jpg

The original stock was cheap with no design to it at all. In fact, it was down right ugly. The bottom metal was stamped, parts were cast and MIM'ed and the sights were poor. The funny part about this is that the M721 was (is) a reasonably accurate rifle. But that doesn't get around the fact that it is simply an inexpensive, mass produced rifle.

You can get as excited as you want about those book prices and 'rare' chambers but when push comes to shove, I buy these in my area for $275.00 to $325.00 for the common chambers and I have paid $375.00 for the .300 H&H rifles. That's it, that's all the market will tolerate in my area of the world and I'm not trying to steal them from unsuspecting sellers, these are offered prices. I even got an M722 in .300 Savage for $250.00 in almost new condition.

There is a big difference between asking and selling prices and there are always exceptions to generalities. So you can create as much sensation as you want for these rifles but the reality is that they are just a working rifle and nothing special to warrant these inflated prices.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about one marked 7mm/06?