In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

o/u shotguns- lanber?

danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have begun to enjoy sporting clays and trap, but am somewhat limited by my rem 870 pump. I would like to purchase a O/U shotgun for my occasional trips to the range shooting clays, but simply cannot afford 1500-2 grand (and up). I have a friend who shoots a lanber (spanish) o/u and swears by it, but I dont know much about them. They would be in my price range. Any expert advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    yachtdaveyachtdave Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lanber are fine shotguns, very under rated
  • Options
    linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First: Your limited with your 870?
    Second: Lanber's are nice, But if you were ever to have a problem with it(ie. firing pin breaking and so on) you may not be able to get parts. And if you had to have something custom made you will be spending the money then. So you may want to check with you local gunsmith on parts availability.
    I haven't check on what the Lanber's are running for, But you may want to take a look at CZ's line. Good shotguns at a reasonable.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=321747

if lanber is in your price range CZ's will be double the $$ like I said earlier your best bet would be a mossberg maybe even a remington as they are major manufactures and will provide parts for guns imported with their name on them
  • Options
    danthemandantheman Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone with personal experience with the lanber shotguns?
  • Options
    dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked at an upland hunting preserve with a 14 station sporting clays course for 7 yrs.two of the "house guns"were lanber o/u's and i saw literally thousands of rnds put through them without a problem.the only other loaner we had that functioned that well was a ruger red label.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lanber's are a good value for the money. Newer ones are probably better than older ones overall. But there are nice older ones also. I think most newer Spanish guns are a good value especially if compared to CZ's Turkish line. I'm sure there are some very good Turkish shotguns but the 2 I have owned had some issues, especially the single trigger.

I bought a 20 ga Ugartechea not too long ago and in 1,000 rounds of low brass shells had zero problems. If you can find a good Red Label for $1,000 - $1,200 you will never wear out anything that Ruger won't fix.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only comment I would make is try to locate a set of firing pins prior to purchasing. The upper & lower pins are different & mine has broken both. I had to have new ones made by a machinist locally as no where could I find parts. Machinist showed me the quality of the metal the original pins are made from was very soft and @ the angle they are installed would not last long. Could have been mine were not hardened.