In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going up soon 1897 Colt SAA Pic HEAVY input?

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I was hoping to get some input from Old Colts or you guys on this one. I have sent off for a factory letter and I won this auction so the cylinder pin will be replaced with one that is the right age.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263336450

Tell me what you think....
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW001.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW002.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW004.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW005.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW006.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW007.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW008.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW012.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW014.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW015.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW016.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW017.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW019.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW021.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW023.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW027.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW030.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW032.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW033.jpg
ColtSAAWOWWOWWOW034.jpg
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LF,

It looks like a real beauty with a lot of character. Not the greatest condition, but not the worst either. How does the bore look? Could it have potntial as a shooter? It surely has potential to do a complete purdying up job, and Doug Turnbull is just around the corner from me.

Hmmmmmm.....I might have an idea[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bore is in good shape. This thing is sooooo smooth too!!!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks crisp and unmonkeyed around with. Lettering is deep enough and machined corners and joints are nice and sharp so not much metal will need to be removed in the restoration.
    I believe it was power cleaned in the past to remove a uniform fine rust from careless storage.
    Very nice piece.
    While the gun has the transverse cylinder catch, it is not the so called smokeless frame.Actually in mid 1883 frames formerly iron were made of steel. The Iron frames were stretching. Beginning at s/n 175000, Colt had precaution against smokeless powder. All shipped after 180,000 bear precaution against smokeless (1898).
    In 1900 s/n 192,000 and thereafter Colt guaranteed against smokeless powder.
    I believe the weak link is cylinder material and would change it for shooting.
    Note the two notches in the grips.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice looking Colt, I agree that it appears to have been scrubbed to clean a light coat of rust, its very even with the finish.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Nice old colt. With that said it is a great candidate for a shooter . this is not the so called BLACK POWDER frame , as it has the spring loaded type cylinder pin retainer. This equates to a smokeless frame and strong enough to shoot. Secondly the finis has character but the grip frame screws show this gun has been taken apart a number of times.The roll stamp of the first line of barrel address looks like it slipped in making . I would not restore this pistol but may refurbish the screws.IMHO once it is RESTORED it is just another SAFE Queen . I would much rather have a original gun I can shoot and enjoy

EDIT "Black - Powder Model are usually considered to be those with Diagonal-screw base pin retainer until about serial 165100 when Colt converted to the transverse-pin the transverse-pin base pin retainer ARE considered the "GRAY-Powder" or "Smokeless-Powder Model the head space was also changed for the Smokeless Powder models. The VP proof did not come about to 1902.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have said I would love to have this gun also. Make sure its mechanically safe and probably fixing up those buggered up screws would be all I would do to it also. I do have a love for nice wood stocks, so maybe some of those. Well heck, you already got the perfect gun, run with it.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Well, at .01c start with no reserve, our input, although nice, is un-necessary.

Now, with that said, the wear is consistant for a 'gun in service' for 100+ years.

Your photos will say more than any text supplied.

One thing: the timing is off*. Notice where the cylinder bolt
    snaps onto the cylinder prematurely? It's apparent in the
    closeups of the cylinder. The cylinder bolt (in an unworn Colt)
    should snap home when aligned with the lead notches of the cylinder.

What I'm talking about is the 'L' in the C-O-L-T cocking sequence.

It has little, or no effect on the cylinder locking in place...
    just when the bolt snaps out of the frame do do the locking.
    An annoyance, but no real biggie. It's a symptom of the action
    being used over the years..no abuse.

Joe
    EDIT
    *The [item in blue, above] will have no effect on the functionality of the firearm.
    It's an indicator that the mileage is high,
    and the parts are at the limit of, but still within,
    acceptable limits.