In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

red11ssred11ss Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I need help getting started to identify and assesss the value of the 1911 and holster shown in the pictures. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Blanked2.jpg?t=1282336169
Blanked.jpg?t=1282336331
GB005.jpg?t=1282336543

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for a reliable 1911, open to cal.and make .But I won't be shooting in compition and don't want to tie up alot of dough. any suggestions? thanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a 1911 with a itcha slide, and a essex frame how can i find info about this gun, and what it is value
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys maybe you can help me. I want a Delta Elite, but am having problems finding one. However I have found the slides. Can I build it on a standard 1911 frame, maybe Colt, maybe Wilson. Let me know how else you guys woould customize it also. Thanks for the expertise!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    who makes the best 1911 colt,sig,kimber,para,etc. and why is it the best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I guess this will be my final attempt before taking my 1911 to the smith. I just cant figure it out. Ive taken it apart several times now. The grip safety and manual safety do not function with the gun fully assembled. No visual machining marks noted. The funny thing is, the grip safety and manual safety both work until I put the main housing spring back on. Once its back on the manual saftey doesnt swing up at all and the hammer will drop with or without pressure from the grip safety. Kinda wierd isnt it? My ego is bruised. I can usally figure anything out but I think Im ready to throw the towel in and submit to the gunsmith. I just want to shoot it. But dont want to until its ready. The manual saftey is ambidexterous which could be a problem. ??????????

thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got my 1911. Everthing operates exept the grip safety and manual saftey. I took the gun completly apart and reassembled it and the grip safety still doesnt work. It seemed to work until I reinserted the mainhousing spring and then it just lies flat and doesnt respond to the sear spring. Any suggestions? I will try a few more times but if I cant get it I know a gunsmith that could probably fix it in 10 minutes but I just like to do things myself.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about the Rock Island Armory 1911"s ? I am wanting to buy a 1911 style pistol and am reviewing all models. Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need the name/model#/brands of "officer" framed,"commander" length slide 1911's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who makes a good reliable 1911 style pistol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a new springfield loaded,some of the ammo tumbles.It seems like the factory ammo is the worst I have some miltary that shoots the best. I have only shot 230 gr ball. what is the problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i like the 1911 pistol but the big name makers are out of my price range. i was hoping that someone could give me some info on the reliability and accuracy of some of the less expensive makers.....thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just recieved my first pistol permit. I'm thinking about a Kimber or Springfield 1911 in .45. Any recomendations?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am still in the market for a reasonably priced 1911 . . .

have been looking at colts and springfield armory models but the models with the low profile/ ajustable sights are overpriced if ya ask me.

getting to the point, i have discovered an auto ordnance model with the style sights that i want
    the wuestion is; is auto ordnance a good manufacturer, how do they compare to the colts and springfileds that i have been looking at when it comes to accuracy and reliability?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    could anyone tell me witch 1911 out of these two is better.the rockisland or s&w model.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1911 Remington Rand AR Sales 45 , any information out there it is in Very Good to Mint Condition
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have looked at several 1911 45 like Springfield,rock iland arms and several others most of them are made overseas can any one sugest what to buy I want a all metal gun. I have also looked a Kimber ultra carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone sell kits for he 1911? All parts except the frame and slide.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning. Was wondering if someone can give me the basic value of my army-issued Colt 1911 with original holster. It shows usual wear from combat but otherwise is in excellent shape. It was shot only once (for 3000 rounds) as the original issuee was the only GI who survived out of his platoon. Has not been fired since then.

Any info on this will be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    were any colt 1911s made in 1942 factory nickeled
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YEAR MY COLT 1911 MKIV SERIES70 #52924B70
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy my first 1911 45 does anyone have any suggestions without spending a whole lot of money
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi does eny one know how i can tell how old my pistol is it is a colt38 super automatic serial number 69344 im not sure on how old or what is worth thanks for eny info scott
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just recieved my first pistol permit. I'm thinking about a Kimber or Springfield 1911 in .45. Any recomendations?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all. I purchaesed a 1911 a few years ago and I am not sure what I have. I looked up the serial number and it said that it could be a Union Switch ands Signal or a Colt. It has a Colt slide but does not say colt on the frame. On the mag release side behind the triger are the letters GHD, on the trigger guard on the fron is a W. The serial number is 1687155. There are crossed cannons on the side just forward of the hammer. There is also some writing on the frame above and forward of the serial number. I can sen pics but can't figure out how to upload them here.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    rock island armory guns are ok
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at the STI Spartan. Very good for the money.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you can find a lightly used one. If you are looking for one that shoots really good groups it will cost money. If you are good with your hands you could learn to tune one up. There are books to guide you. Get a mold and cast bullets for it, that way you will be able to aford to shoot it enough to get good with it. My last thought is 3822, thats a 1911 in each hand.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My gunsmith loves his Rock Island Armory, he chastised me when I bought my Remington. He(whom I greatly respect) says that RIA is the best bang for the buck. I have only shot two and they shot great. I just wanted an American gun that I could send to Karl Sokol.
    Springfield Armory makes good to go guns also. It kinda depends on what level you want to go with the gun. Overall its the best handgun design in history in my opinion, but not everyone knows how to make it.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only suggest that you buy an American made pistol to keep the craft alive in this country and to money into the pockets of American craftsman.

Colt,
    S & W,
    Kimber,
    Remmington
    Les Baer,
    Ithaca,
    Ruger, (though I'd wait until at least a year for quality reports)

Etc.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy my first 1911 45 does anyone have any suggestions without spending a whole lot of money
    [/quote]

Define "a whole lot of money".

The 1911 market is so competitive now, its largely a question of getting what you pay for.

You might also mention what you want to do with the gun. If its something for shooting at the range, and keeping for that "bump in the night" that's one thing. If its something you're going to be carrying as a "duty" gun, that's another, and if you intend to be shooting competitively with it, that's another thing still.

Colts are expensive, but they're high quality, plus, unlike most of the others, they tend to go *up* in value. For these, you will probably pay a little more than for a lesser name gun, but its a worthwhile investment, I think.

Rock Island Armory has a reputation as a pretty good "entry level" gun.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    Love my Rock Island Armory 1911.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. McManus started giving a good list. To that, you can add...

Wilson(the very best)
    Fusion
    Sig
    Browning
    CZ

Best
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I like my Firestorm just fine.

Here's one on the block for $300 + $40 shipping:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265035698
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock Island is made in the Phillippines. The gunsmith that only does 1911s here in Hawaii does not recommend it due to inconsistent qualify of the metal and workmanship. He recommends sticking to American made 1911s.