In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where Is The Last Pre-64 Winchester Model 70?

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm a Pre-64 Model 70 fan and own a fair collection. I know various Pre-64 eras have cult followings--some go for Pre-war guns, others like the transition era variants, while many insist the early 50s guns are the only ones worth owning. In general, the later guns, especially those produced in 62 and 63, with the exception of those in fairly rare or desirable chamberings like 300 WM or 338 WM, seem to be frowned upon. However, it would seem to me the last guns off the assembly line, despite their questionable quality, might have better than average collector value. Assuming that is so, here are three questions. First, does anyone know where the last Pre-64 Model 70 off the assembly line resides? Second, if the whereabouts of the last gun off the line is unknown, what's the highest known existing serial number, who has it, and what's it worth? Finally, does anyone on this forum own a Pre-64 that came off the line in the final weeks of production and, if so, what's your impression of its fit and finish? I know some folks are skittish about posting serial numbers so, if you do list your gun's digits, feel free to XX the last two. I think these questions might generate some interesting discussion. Thanks.

Comments