In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help about my STI .45 spartan

johninjaxjohninjax Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
A local gun/coin etc. shop looked at my STI .45 spartan and said it was made in the Philippines --- I thought it was MFG. in Willis, TX.

He said that's why it has a plastic trigger...what!!!

I bought it new about 2 yrs ago for $800 bucks and have never shot it, he said it might be worth $250.

Was this guy right...?

Comments

• Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're apparently in Georgetown, Tx. and the gun should be worth around $600.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by johninjax
    A local gun/coin etc. shop looked at my STI .45 spartan and said it was made in the Philippines --- I thought it was MFG. in Willis, TX.

He said that's why it has a plastic trigger...what!!!

I bought it new about 2 yrs ago for $800 bucks and have never shot it, he said it might be worth $250.

Was this guy right...?

It would be "worth" $250 if you were stupid enough to take that much for it.

New in Box STI Spartans seem to go for around $600. I think that would be a place to start the discussion if I were selling one.

IIWY, I wouldn't frequent that particular store anymore, either the owner is a liar or an idiot, and I'm not betting on "idiot".
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that the "Spartan" model sold by STI is made from Armscorp, i.e PI parts. Check it over real close, if the slide or frame were made in the PI they would be required by U.S. law to be marked with their country of origin.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he said ^^^^^^^ is accurate. The frames are made in PI, not sure abut the slices. Final manufacturing/fitting is done at STI in Georgetown, TX. Everythng I've read says the Spartan is a fine pistol.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armscor (Arms Corporation of the Phillipines) is the largest firearms manufacturer in Southeast Asia. They can make cheap guns, & they can make very good guns; it all depends on how much the company ordering a model is willing to pay. This is a common business practice.

The "value" of any gun depends upon who you are talking to, & the circumstances. If you asked the shop owner "What's mine worth?", his answer will be quite different from "How much would you sell me one for?" If he thought you wanted to sell it to him, $250 is not unreasonable; he'd hope to sell it for $400, & he has to make a profit. If you want to make more, sell it yourself on GB, but be prepared to do some work.

Plastic trigger? Not a big deal. Colt's "1991" model line has come with a plastic trigger & main spring housing for 20 years; not a problem, they are not stressed parts. If you don't like that, you buy steel replacements.

Neal
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, the firearms made in the Philippines may appear to fit and operate/function adequately. However, from what the local gunsmith who works on 1911s only, the metalurgy of the frams and slides are questionable. To say the least, the Philippines made guns are inconsistent in the quality control of the basic steel used. Often times the steel is "soft" according to the gunsmith and will not "take a beating and keep on ticking" as the American made guns are. He knows his 1911s because he has been shooting at Camp Perry for over 25 years.

Consider this, if we are to assure ourselves and future generations a firearms heritage in the United States, we better not out source the jobs related to the Second Amendment to third world countries. For God's Sake, BUY AMERICAN!
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    both my rock island work great no complaints here
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Spartan has Armscor big parts - barrel, slide and frame - and STI small parts - hammer, sear, trigger, etc. Reports vary as to whether they are assembled in the Philippines or Texas.
    Either way, they are getting a good reputation, at least as good as anything else in the price range.

The OP's problem on resale value is that he asked a dealer.
    A dealer will typically give only about half the retail value for a gun that comes in off the street. So he saw a second hand pistol that he could get $500 for and so said it was "worth" $250.

Of course the plastic trigger business is nonsense, I have paid good money to have plastic triggers put on some of my guns. They are light in weight and plenty strong.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Your "gun/coin" guy might know more about coin than 1911,s. He just wanted to shaft you so he could more than double his money.
    I have the same "plastic" trigger in two custom 1911,s. I forget who made it, but they are one of the best.
    A friend got a 9mm Spartan and i've shot it, and wanted one. They were hard to get then. I got a 1911 in 38 super and fitted a 9mm barrel in it. I've been shooting 1911,s for over 30yrs, building them almost that long and the Spartan is a very good 1911.
    STI wouldn't put out something that won't hold up.