In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 750

CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Looking at a remington 750 in 308 caliber. Any thoughts pro or con about the gun / caliber

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anybody have strong opinions about this rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did Remington do when they converted from the previous semiautomatic 7400 to the 750. My gunsmith will not even work on the 7400s, I have had one since I graduated from Boot Camp, never had any problems with it. But everyone calls it Jammatic, so what did Remington change in the gas system or is it just cosmetic. I am a Remington guy, and would like to give it a chance if its a true new design.
    Thanks
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That design of both the semi-auto, and the pump was a major dis-service from Remington. Ever since the 740, and up thru the 742, 760, 7400, 7600, Six, and Four models, the bolt head is actually harder than the steel rails machined inside the reciever. Especially when dirty, these will accellerate wear of the rails,and locking lugs, and render the gun usless. Basically, these rifles eat themselves from the inside out.

These type of rifles are found a lot in the North East, and they are usually rode hard, and put away wet. They get drug thru the mud, snow, rain, and the thickest of thickets, and are hardly ever taken apart to be properly cleaned. Most fella's think a swab thru the barrel, and wiping it down with an oily rag is a complete cleaning. They are impossible for the average user to take apart and clean, and almost impractical for an annual cleaning, or even a semi-annual cleaning by a competant gunsmith to clean.

These rifles will seldom ever live to see more than 1000 rounds or so. The reason most gun shops don't like to work on them, is that they are so hard to disassemble to clean. You have to take the barrel off to get the bolt group out to clean.

There have been several topics on this subject in the last couple years. Use the smart search, and look them up.

Best

EDIT 1

CSI21,

Don't get me wrong, there were slight operational improvements as each model progressed. When they went from the 742 to the Model Four, and 7400, they took the 7 lug bolt and made it four...same on the pump actions. By doing so with the semi-auto, they had to modify their gas system too, as they didn't need as big a bump to unlock it. That happened after the fact usually.

Remington is to firearms, as Yamaha is to snowmobiles...they let the consumer fix the design flaws.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks TSR,
    I always wondered why, now I know. Just wonder if they did anything different with the 750.
    Cheers
    RVG
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing they did with the 750 was make the gas block easier to clean !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By easier, could you tell me what that means, I never cleaned mine, but then its only has less than a 100 rounds in 20 years. A couple to check zero every year and then whatever I need to shot deer with. My father in law uses it now, He has shot it once on a deer. Dont think he has shot it in 2 years. But i would like to know more about the 750.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've had a 308 for 39yrs
    with no problems,but
    are these rails actually
    part of the reciever
    or are they something
    that can be replaced?

Thanks-ron
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "are these rails actually
    part of the reciever
    or are they something
    that can be replaced?"............the older 740's & 742's have the rails machined into the receiver (non-replacable), the newer 7400's have a hardened 'channel' fixed inside the receiver. still non-replaceable but a much better system, I've never seen one wear out (or the bolt for that matter). I condem an average of 6 742's a year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike,
    I take it you work on them. How much for a trigger job and general tune up?
    I live in NC, so I guess shipping would have to be included.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    yes the bolts will wear out too. i have three in my shop. bad design!
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    That design of both the semi-auto, and the pump was a major dis-service from Remington. Ever since the 740, and up thru the 742, 760, 7400, 7600, Six, and Four models, the bolt head is actually harder than the steel rails machined inside the reciever. Especially when dirty, these will accellerate wear of the rails,and locking lugs, and render the gun usless. Basically, these rifles eat themselves from the inside out.

These type of rifles are found a lot in the North East, and they are usually rode hard, and put away wet. They get drug thru the mud, snow, rain, and the thickest of thickets, and are hardly ever taken apart to be properly cleaned. Most fella's think a swab thru the barrel, and wiping it down with an oily rag is a complete cleaning. They are impossible for the average user to take apart and clean, and almost impractical for an annual cleaning, or even a semi-annual cleaning by a competant gunsmith to clean.

These rifles will seldom ever live to see more than 1000 rounds or so. The reason most gun shops don't like to work on them, is that they are so hard to disassemble to clean. You have to take the barrel off to get the bolt group out to clean.

There have been several topics on this subject in the last couple years. Use the smart search, and look them up.

Best

EDIT 1

CSI21,

Don't get me wrong, there were slight operational improvements as each model progressed. When they went from the 742 to the Model Four, and 7400, they took the 7 lug bolt and made it four...same on the pump actions. By doing so with the semi-auto, they had to modify their gas system too, as they didn't need as big a bump to unlock it. That happened after the fact usually.

Remington is to firearms, as Yamaha is to snowmobiles...they let the consumer fix the design flaws.

Best
    =1 on the 742 problems mine bit the dust last year
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bear Creek Guns in Seliah Wasington works on them. Competent smithy.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CSI21
    By easier, could you tell me what that means, I never cleaned mine, but then its only has less than a 100 rounds in 20 years. A couple to check zero every year and then whatever I need to shot deer with. My father in law uses it now, He has shot it once on a deer. Dont think he has shot it in 2 years. But i would like to know more about the 750.

They moved the set screw to a 45 Degree angle in the gas block . now you can remove it without having to remove the action bar and recoil spring . But the barrel still has to come off to clean and polish the chamber ! Most of the problems people have with the Rem. autoloaders can be traced to poor maintainence practices , or no maintainence at all . I don't understand your Gunsmith's reluctence to work on the 7400 , There's still a parts stream fo them .