In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turkey gun

colin1736colin1736 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a decent shotgun for hunting turkeys. I don't need a high end gun and don't want a door stop, aka Mossberg. I am looking for a good quality firearm. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm new to turkey hunting, and need advice on a good turkey gun. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a good turkey gun? I would want a 12 gauge, 3 1/2 inch chanber, and fully camouflaged. I might put a redot or 1.5-5 power scope in it. The scope would be matching camo.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had an issue in thousands of rounds thru my Mossberg.

That said, since you aren't in the Mossberg camp, Remington 870.

Edit - if where legal where you are, consider a 22 magnum rifle...
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at those over and under combo guns? 222/12
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 Express 3 inch. If it cannot be done with 3 inch, then it can't with 3 1/2 inch either. I shoot the oldest 21" version of the above said 870.

Best
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I occasionally use a Tikka O/U in 12 GA and .222 with a low powered Redfield variable scope, but my favorite is a "beat-to-hell" old Browning A-5 with a 30 inch barrel and full choke; It's deadly. Other turkey guns I can recommend are the SKB 500 O/U with 30 inch barrels choked full and full, the Remington 11-87 12 GA with turkey choke tube, and the scoped and camo'ed Mossberg 585 3 1/2 inch magnum. My favorite "door-stop" gun is a NEF 10 GA single shot; really inexpensive but extremely effective.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First choice Savage Fox model B with 3" chambers,Second Mossberg 500. Third choice Remington 870.
    The Savage I've owned forever.
    Mossberg has the same safety location as a double and is a solid gun.
    The 870 is just a good all around gun.
  • Options
    danielw2427danielw2427 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 870 Super Mag. I love mine. I like to deer hunt and fish but I LOVE turkey hunting. I use Win. Supreme 3 1/2" 5 shot with a Hastings choke. I put a R3 recoil pad on and it dosen't kick very bad at all. I've got about $350 in the gun $50 in the choke and $25 in the recoil pad. But I think the newer ones come with the recoil pad.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I ever needed was my single shot Hopkin-Allens .22 lr. rifle.
    Took quit a number of gobblers with it.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Not as Lean[:D][:D]2X as Mean[:(!][:(!]But STILL a MARINE[}:)][}:)]

Vet
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500

You don't know what you are missing kid.

CP
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500 and 3 inch # 6 premium Federal shells and get ready to pull feathers. Of course any thing that shoots will work.
  • Options
    pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mossberg 835 with a stardot choke tube.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is an idea. Most serious turkey hunters use a very tight point of aim turkey shotgun/choke. Head/neck shot the goal. Dead bird as far as 40yds or more. Problem is not all turkeys show up at 40 yds, sometimes right beside you at 20ft...boom...miss, pattern so tight it goes right past the turkeys head. I have been using a o/u with a tight turkey choke in the top barrel and a wide open cylinder choke with spreader load in the bottom barrel. You won't see a show on tv with someone using a o/u. And besides your o/u with other chokes can make a good upland shotgun, something a dedicated turkey shotgun can not do. Ruger Red Label 12ga, o/u is one of many fine choices.
    SxS are fine too but most will not pattern point of aim with one barrel and a tight choke.