In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kel Tec KSG?

RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Any of you boys had occasion to look at one of these? I watched a very interesting video about these neat little shotguns - they appear to be very nice. 15 rounds of 12 gauge ammo, less than 7 pounds and 26 inches overall length - pretty substantial home-defense weapon!

I know Kel Tec has a history of making somewhat less than reliable guns, but the guys that did the test liked the gun.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not on the market yet, far as I know? Price will likely be somewhat of a drawback when they do become available. $650 on the low side, to $850+ is what I have been seeing. Once all the gunshop commandos/rambos buy up the early production guns, don't see a big general market for them at that price point.

The same magazine design in a semi-auto would be a much better seller, IMHO.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    one was sold on GB well into the 3k range
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Initial reviews I've seen mention mediocre trigger, and some break in issues, but otherwise the guns seem to be as billed.

IMO, the bullpup configuration for shorter overall length is more interesting than the dual magazine tubes. Honestly, 5+1 or 7+1 is plenty of rounds for anything short of an actual gunfight (and arguably, even enough for one!).

Dual mags do make it easier to say, put slugs in one tube and buckshot in the other, giving you a little more flexibility.

Personally, I don't think the extra capacity nor shorter overall length are worth another $300 to me over a conventional riot gun. I definitely wouldn't pay "gotta have it now" prices vastly exceeding listed retail prices.

Eventual price should be about $600-650 when these become generally available. The problem there is that due to Kel-Tec's byzantine production schedules (apparently they do occasional production runs on all their guns), who knows when that will be.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunshop here had one a few months ago with a 2500 dollar price tag,it sold the next day.I checked it out,was different no doubt but just not for me even at 650.I'll take an 870,or an 1100 over it any day.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    since I love shotguns that are even a little different, I want one of these but, most guns I buy are autos.
    so I'll wait till I can get one used for cheap.
  • Options
    In Omnia ParatusIn Omnia Paratus Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plan on getting one for a fact.

One nice thing for us CA people is that it is a way to actually legally have more than 10 rounds loaded into 1 weapon.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three Kel-Tecs and have no problems with any. The KSG still needs to be evaluated.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    must be ready to start shipping as there was a add in the rifleman