In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1976 Colt 1911

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
One of the local shops has a brushed(looking) stainless Colt 1911 for sale. Erroring on the side of caution, runs about 80-85% I would say at worst. Not knowing a lot about Colt's, how many different variations were there then, does that sound like it could be original finish, and about how much is a decent price? Good year as far as realiability? I have always wanted to own a Colt......[:)]

Jon

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Series 70 Colts are amoung the best in my opinion Whith that said they did not make stainless. they did make a Nickle that looked a lot like stainless when you say 80-85% that sort of scares me . the Nickle finish is not very durable and hard to refinish. It is not done like the old school nickle finish.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Probably Colt's "satin nickel" finish which is often mistaken for stainless.

pix015038831.jpg
    pix826471603.jpg
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shop won't tell you how much they want for it?

Neal

EDIT: The model of the gun will be stamped on the side of the slide. It is either a Government Model or a Combat Commander; it is not a 1911. It will likely have the series also stamped on the slide. Commanders, even those that are marked "70 series", have a solid bushing, never a spring steel bushing.

EDIT: While the asking price may be "full list price", it may not be outrageous. If the wear is just surface abrasion, as opposed to wear that goes through the plating, it may be worth considering. The biggest problem with these nickel guns is when they are exposed too longer to powder solvent, the plating can peel off, greatly reducing the value of the gun. While a gun like the 1 Spider showed would sell in the $800-900 range, one with 85% finish probably would sell in the $600 area.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So how much are they askin'? $400? If the only thing holding you back is the finish buy it as shooter and work in progress.

I figure if you buy the gun for $400 expect to spend twice that for the good parts and labor. Also you don't have to do all of it at once.

quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    Yeah, it is probably nickel like you guys are saying. Looks like it was holstered quite a bit and has a lot of "whisker" type marks on the finish. Barrel is really clean and everything works crisply. He has a price of $650 on it. By the sounds of it, that is a tad too high?

Jon

You said 80%-85% so I came up with the $400. So figure what about $500'll get it done?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The electroless nickle finish was common on Colts. It seems very similar to the "NiTex" finish. If so, it can't be touched up if it wears the whole part would need to be refinished. I really like the Series 70 full size models except for the spring-finger bushing. I saw one break a finger at the range and thought that was an omen for a carry gun. I refit mine with solid old-school bushings. I don't know if the Commander uses the spring bushing, but if it does that would be the first change I would make to it. Other than that, the serial number indicates that it is a steel frame so it will be plenty durable and you can modify it until your checkbook cries uncle.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt wasn't making stainless guns in 1976.
    I think an 85% nickel gun is pretty ugly, even though I have one.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it is probably nickel like you guys are saying. Looks like it was holstered quite a bit and has a lot of "whisker" type marks on the finish. Barrel is really clean and everything works crisply. He has a price of $650 on it. By the sounds of it, that is a tad too high?

Jon