In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading for a old Winchester

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Im thinking about reloading some 30 WCF (30-30)for a old model 94 that was made in 1899,its in good shape and i just shoot it a little now and then and would like to take a deer with it sometime.Anybody have a good load that they use in their old rifle ? It seems to like 170gr in factory the best,never tried any reloads.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are a hard-core reloader, the factory 170-grain loads are the best choice for that old Winchester.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I agree with Bert H. If you are just going to shoot occasionally and maybe a random deer hunt, factory ammo will fit the bill.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But - but - but i just bought dies and bullets.[:D] Thanks guys,guess i should have asked first.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Radar,

We're not saying you shouldn't reload but that we have found at least one load which has been very successful from factory ammunition. I'm in that same boat for a couple of rifles and a Contender.

But I too, have dies, bullets, cases and powder to use when I do reload for this cartridge. The bullets I concentrate on then are the 125 Nosler BT, the 130 Hornady SP SS Pistol and the 135 Sierra SP SS Pistol.

Reloading is a great past-time which generates a lot of satisfaction. Experiment away and enjoy the process of discovery.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Radar,

One thing to remember, always chamfer the inside and outside of your case mouth after you trim to length. I would always trim, because on these you are going to want a uniform crimp.

That said, you might want to seat the bullet in one stage, and crimp in two or three more, so you don't collapse the case neck and shoulder. They are very thin.

If you shoot lead bullets, make sure they are gas checked on the bottom. If you want to shoot a lot and have fun, try using some IMR Trail Boss with those lead bullets. You won't get as high of velocity, and you will make some smoke. However, you will be very accurate, and have lots of fun.

Lastly, if you are loading for use in a tubular magazine, such as your 94, you can load spitzer type bullets, if you only put one in the magazine at a time. If you are going to put in more than one, you need to use round or flat nose.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys,i know i dont need to reload but i like to.Really the factory 170gr Rem. and Win. both shoot very well with about a 3 inch group at 100 yards. Problem is they are about 7 inches high and everyone but one guy thinks the sight is right,i know reloading will not change that.