In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 12 Deluxe? Trap?

IschiaIschia Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Looking at a Model 12 Winchester,by #, a 1951 vintage. Beautiful, at about 95% condition. Vent rib, 28" full, with a mont carlo stock and hand cut checkering. Original red factory pad. I'm sure it's original as I have known the previous owner's son for more than 30 years. His father used it to shoot trap. Not marked as a trap gun. What do I have? Could a monte carlo stock be special ordered back then?

Thanks,
Ischia

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been so much in the way of "parts swapping" on M-12's
    over the years (especially among trap shooters) it could be anything.
    At one time the M-12 was THE gun for trap..everyone that shot that game had one at one time or another...and they outfitted it to suit themselves.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one of the same vintage awhile back. The stock was a beautiful piece of figured wood without a pistol grip. It look great, but no way factory original.

Like the previous poster noted the Model 12 was the shotgun to own back then, and was quite common to customize with after market stocks, etc.

Check the choke on yours. Mine was full from the factory, but unfortunately somebody reamed it out for steel shot, before I bought it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Take a photo of the Stock and the rib. Is there a proof mark on the barrel? If its a factory vent rib then you should have the corrct stock. But like has been said there was a lot of switching around.