In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem Classics

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
How do you absolutely tell a Rem. Classic, from a standard Rem 700 in same cartridge? I thought that the pads were all the same on the classics, namely 1/2" hard rubber. True??? THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember many of the the regular rifles being chambered in the Classic's calibers. I have a 257 Roberts and a friend has a 250 Savage, which are not standard cartridges that I know of in the M700.

If you take a look at Remington's webpage for the M700, it lists in detail the chamberings for the rifle and what year the classic was for those cartridges that were in the standard rifles as well. See: http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-700.aspx

One interesting model was the 1992 Camo-Synthetic that covered the entire stock and barreled action. I got one in 280 that is really sweet.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Manoa---Not true really! Consider these---.17 rem, .223, 220 swift, 243, 25-06, 7 rem mag, 308, 30-06, 300 win, 338 win. Others I'm sure. But thx
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 700 Classic, had a straight classic comb, and a floor plate like the 700 BDL. The mountain rifle had a straight comb too, but had a forend tip. The Classic had straight wood, no fancies, except checkering, and a floor plate. The ADL did not have a floor plate.

Best
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The majority of the annual classics didn't have iron sights either . Other than that tsr1965 gave you the right poop !
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW: The Classic was introduced as a standard catalog rifle in the late 70's in more or less "standard" chamberings, ie., .22/.250. 6mm Rem., .243, .270, and .30/06. According to the pictures in the 1979 and 1980 Stoeger's, those had iron sights. This was prior to the limited edition Classic in only one chambering per year which started in 1981 with the 7x57. Apparently, Remingtons idea was to create instant collectors' items but it was a boon to rifle nuts like me who liked to shoot the old or obscure cartridges in a modern rifle. I don't think the origional Classics sold very well since the price was very little different than the much fancier BDL. A good way to tell the Classics is that they were a plain Jane rifle-- if it's "tricked out" at all; cheek piece, fore-end tip, etc. it's not a Classic. As has been said, it does have a floor plate.