In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1886 barrel

sugaritesugarite Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for an original 1886 octagon barrel in 45-90 or 45-70.This rifle was found in a dump and I'm trying to restore with original parts.I want to restore and hunt with this rifle.Can anyone help? Thanks-RM

Comments

• Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Would be help to know the make and model of the rifle.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I had a catalog from Buckingham's showing various used Winchester barrels. Maybe they still have some.

Buckinghams Antique Winchester
    501 Eaton Brazil Rd,
    Trenton, TN 38382-9663

Phone: 731-559-4367

There is an outfit making reproduction barrels, right down to the rifling plan and markings. I haven't found them yet but if you can't find an original, there are good fakes available.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to do a real restoration, if the serial number is intact, you can get a factory letter, which will explain the chambering, and configuration, along with any extra's it left the factory with.

quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    Would be help to know the make and model of the rifle.

Usually, when any one mentions the number like 1886, it is recognized as next of kin to the 1892, and 1894 Winchester's. 1886 IS the MODEL number.

Best