In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5mm X284 anybody shoot this stuff??

golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I guess the long range guys developed it. I came into some. Anybody make a factory gun or all custom?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golferboy426,

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you! Hope all is well with you!

Yes, there are a couple companies who make factory rifles chambered for this round. Savage is one of them, and Cooper is the other that I know of. It makes a splended hunting round as well.

Best
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    golferboy426,

"6.5mm X284 anybody shoot this stuff??"

Thousands of us shoot this cartridge in competition and many continue using it for hunting also. It is the equivalent to or exceeds the 6.5-06 wildcat cartridge but can be chambered in a short action.

"I came into some."

What did you come into? Loaded cartridges? If yes, enough to warrant buying a rifle for?

A couple of competition rifles are available for the 6.5x284 and Cooper will make you a sporting rifle on request. Sporting rifles in general though are unavailable in this cartridge.

The easy way out is to sell what you have in order to get a good .260 Rem. or buy a commercial .260 Rem. to have re-chambered to the 6.5x284 cartridge. This conversion is easy to do and relatively inexpensive when compared to having a true custom rifle made to order.

Another solution would be to buy a pre-chambered rifle barrel (there are several makers) for the Savage and simply replace the existing barrel on a short or long action with a standard bolt face.

There will be some small adjustments needed to the rails and feed ramp to get this cartridge to feed properly since it is larger (0.500") at the base. DBM often solve this since these actions come without rails, using the lips on the magazines instead.

Lots of options, let us know what you are interested in doing and we can help narrow some of this down.

Best.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    When I worked at Hi Tech customs we built several of them. Most for hunting, but a few for LRC. I only test fired them, never got a chance to set down and really get into their potential. Our customers were VERY please with them.[8D]
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one on gunbroker a few months ago made by Savage. I believe it is a model 110 or 10 with a fluted barrel and a camo synthetic stock. The barrel is relatively heavy but is not a bull barrel. It definitely works.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just 10 boxes from black hills. I was just going to play with a gun but have changed my mind. I listed the ammo on the auction side. Too much gun for my cervical disc and too much money for my budget for a toy