In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

kroil and burlap

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
To remove rust on a firearm, what else besides burlap can be used with Kroil?

Comments

• Options
    BowGunHunterBowGunHunter Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0000 steel wool
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    basically what you want is something semi- rough but not Hard enough to scratch. . One thing slightly more aggressive is CHORE BOY copper pads this company makes a number of items BUT ONLY use the COPPER pads. one other thing is use the edge of a COPPER PENNY.The reason for copper or brass is the Bore Cleaner will remove the Copper and leave the BLUED steel unharmed. I have cleaned some stuff that one would think had almost no original blue-ing and ended up with a very nice looking item. Have a merry Christmas and Happy new year.

EDit I did say COPPER penny but should have stated this was old pennies. not the ones made today I have a bunch of them .I personally would NEVER USE ANY steel wool I have found no matter if it was 000000 it will still give you small scratches and a place for NEW rust to form.USE COPPER, BRASS,BRONZE
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will try the 0000 still wool, and the penny.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may not matter, but I believe the newer pennies are predominately zinc now. Copper got to be a semiprecious metal a number of years ago, and enterprising individuals(and nations) started scrapping out pennies as a source of copper, hence the use of zinc.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use bronze wool instead.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    peddler,

Don't use STEEL wool, if the firearm is of stainless construction. it will make it much worse.

Best
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler

I believe the pennys before 1984 are copper, the ones after are a mix of copper and zinc.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker
    quote:Originally posted by peddler

I believe the pennys before 1984 are copper, the ones after are a mix of copper and zinc.

1982 was the transition from solid copper pennies to copper coated zinc.

I myself prefer to use fine mesh cool wool pads with Kroil to clean un old Winchesters. The copper wool when wetted with Kroil will not harm blued steel, but it does a great job of lifting crud and oxidation (rust).
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you flatten the mouth of a brass cartridge case you can use it like a scraper for the bad spots. Brass or bronze wool or the brass screens you use on a LEWIS lead remover are safer than steel wool.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    try folded cheesecloth with any oil including kroil,myself can't stand the smell of kroil so I use rem=oil or marvel mystery oil