In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 Hunting Round

capnrmcapnrm Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello Forum,

Looking for a good short range round for the 308 primarily a deer hunter, but may try for a wild Oinker all shots are under 100 yds.Any Suggestions ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    capnrm,

Short range?

I don't see anything wrong with the standard .308 Winchester. Ammunition is available nearly everywhere in dozens of variations of bullet weight and styles to suit any type of hunting. The benefit is that the same cartridge can function at 1,000 yards for competition also.

30-30 Win.
    30 BR
    30 AR
    30 Remington
    30 T/C
    300 OSSM
    30-40 Krag

...and maybe a dozen other wildcats will all fulfill your desire for a .30 caliber cartridge.

Best.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The experienced deer hunters I hunt with use the Remington 180 grain round nose bullet with lots of lead exposed. They use the 30-06 cartridge but I would expect the same results from the .308. Shots in northern Michigan are usually less than 100 yards.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for deer the remington core-lokt or if you reload seirra game kings
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:savage170 Posted - 12/22/2011 : 09:47:51 AM
    for deer the remington core-lokt or if you reload seirra game kings

Thats what we use around here but in 150gr SP because our deer are smaller & anything bigger tends to tear up the meat badly.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem Corelokt 150 grain pointed soft point should be adequate until those hogs get over 250#. This factory load will give you best performance on deer sized game while keeping recoil down and flatenning trajectory for those longer shots.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't comment on 'oinkers' but I find a light, softnose bullet is best for deer. They make a big wound = lots of blood = found deer.
    I have seen many whitetails 'dance' away with a 180 grain CoreLokt through the ribs/heart. Had to use a dog too many times to find them. Then my friend got a Rem. 6mm and used 100 grainers. My eyes were opened!
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I use the 150 grain remington corelokt and have had great results on deer.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    165 gr hornady boattails are very nice.long range potential and drop elk right now.in factory ammo the 150 core-lok or silvertip are good bets
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I hunted, or if I hunt with my .30-06, I use the Remington 150 grain on deer, big hole, dead deer. Expect the same with the .308
  • Options
    bnailonbnailon Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    165 grain boat tail in Federal Sierra Game King great for white-tail--never had one run off very far. Works on pigs, too. Also had alot of success on pigs with 150 grain and 170-grain soft points in 30-30.