In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield?

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
After all the suggestions for the gift 1911 in my previous post I got to thinking, I might want one myself! My "price point" will be considerably lower, however. Saw this on the auction side:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225934889

Looks like a decent piece. What say y'all?

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the caliber is the same as a '03' Springfield, but why is this rifle mentioned in the 'Springfield' book? Looks like a Martini action to me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265760399
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lays it out petty well in the description. Not sure I could add much without pulling the 1903 book out. Springfield built them using Swiss actions.
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because it was put together at the Springfield Armory?
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfield armory did build some Swiss style international target rifles, but they were all built on 03 actions. The gun shown is a Swiss rifle on a Martini action. It has nothing to do with Springfield armory.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a copy of Mr Brophy's book, so I can't say that the seller of this rifle is mistaken. But, he seems to be certain that it was bought by SA & modified by them.

He says that this rifle "will letter through the SRS", which raises further questions. (SRS stands for Springfield Research Service, an organization that compiled the most comprehensive list of older US Govt owned firearms, & their disposition.) The SRS data base used to be on the Internet, but is now privately owned & access is restricted. If the rifle being offered did letter, why isn't the seller showing us a copy? I infer from his AS IS ad copy, "Trust me, it will letter, but, if it doesn't, I'm not giving you a refund."

Neal
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The type rifle that is the topic of this thread is pictured and described on page 128 of The Springfield 1903 Rifles by Brophy. The text describing the rifle in the gunbroker listing is mostly word for word what is in Brophy's book. The caption under one of the photos reads "SA photograph of one of the Haemmerli free rifles that was barreled at the Armory for use by U. S. international shooting teams. Each rifle included two types of butt plate hooks that were used in different shooting positions." end of quote. I don't have all the SRS books so can't confirm that it is on the SRS Data base. Persons having purchased the SRS data books can order more information than appears in the books at extra cost. The data in the book may only say something like a date and the name of a unit or military installation the rifle was shipped to or received from. Having researched the seller's claims and description as best I can, I can see no reason to doubt what he says in the listing. I don't know why he elected to list the rifle as a "Springfield" but it most likely was modified at Springfield Armory.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    I don't know why he elected to list the rifle as a "Springfield" but it most likely was modified at Springfield Armory.

It's possible to set up search criteria based on certain words. My WAG is that the seller felt that he would get more hits from collectors of U.S. firearms if he described it as a Springfield, rather then a Martini.

I for one never new that SA built schutzen rifles using Swiss made Martini actions. I'm sure a knowledgeable collector of firearms manufactured at SA, would be very eager to obtain this rifle.