In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEW WHITE POWDER WONDER

peedadpeedad Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Need some information on this single shot 12ga. shotgun, maker and dates. Will be appreciated very much. Thanks PS Also, maybe parts location.

Comments

• Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Your New White Powder Wonder is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name WHITE POWDER WONDER were made by one of four makers, Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1931) and made before 1919, W.H. Davenport Arms Company also of Norwich,CT (1878 to 1910), Meridian Fire Arms Company of Meridian,CT (1905 to 1910) or Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicopee Falls,MA (1874 to date). The guns were made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Company of Chicago,IL. To tell the maker on at least two of the guns-Crescent made guns will have the serial number stamped on the lower tang just behind the trigger guard, Stevens made gun can be identified by the shape of the butt stock where it joins the receiver. The butt stock will have a semi circular projection in the wood the fits into corresponding cut outs in the receiver. The serial number on the Crescent made gun can be used to determine the year made. Parts for a gun made over 70 years ago are going to be a problem. All makers except Stevens are out of business. You can try Gun Parts Inc (www.gunpartsinc.com), Popperts Gun Parts (www.popperts) or look on the various gun auction sites like Gun Broker for parts and parts guns. Value? Everyone wants to know. These old guns were inexpensive even when new selling for between $10 to $15 and have not appreciated that much since. Value today depends on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A prime condition example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon might bring as much as $125 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or as a fire place poker might bring as little as $10. Most I have seen sold on the various gun auction sites have sold for between $50 and $75.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1901 the White Powder Wonder was $4.10 from Sears; $4.40 with ejector. Too rich for your blood? A Long Range Winner was $3.98, the least expensive in that catalog.
    I like these old catalogs, I should get some more.

Prices were lower, pay was lower.
    Apply the consumer price index and you get a current price of $129.10. The least expensive H&R Topper is $140. Pretty close.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    But remember back in those days, the standard wage was a dollar a day if that much.
  • Options
    peedadpeedad Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who helped me with this. I appreciate it very much. Have a great holiday