In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 140 & 1400 12ga semi-auto

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm interested in a semi-auto 12 ga and was wondering if the Winchester 140 & 1400 12ga semi-auto's are considered good quality guns?

Comments

• Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Remingtons for the cost. I hunt with an 11-87 and have owned 1100s for years. You can pick them up for a good price used. Thats just my opinion, Not sure what you wish to do with it. I hunt just about everything I can here with them. Started using a double barrell when on preserve quail hunts, but I carry the 11-87 for everything else.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    One of the first shotguns I got years ago was a Win 1400 semi and it has served me well over these many years. It is light and easy to carry in the field and has taken lots of ducks and geese over both the DE and MD marsh. I know that here on the Forum folks are perhaps partial to the Rem 1100, which is also a good semi, but I still like my 1400. Don't know about the 140, however. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the 140 was an econo version semi auto..I have had 1400s and worked fine,,,maybe better choices,,but hey,,they work.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 16, and a 20ga, and have noticed at the local shows the prices are well below the price of 1100's, I personally have never had a problem with either one, have rabbitt hunted with the 20ga for quite a few years without any major jams or failures. At close to half the price I would buy another one, at reasonable price, if I had the chance.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first gun was a 1400 in 1970. I've still got it and it still shoots anything you can put in it (only holds 2 3/4s so that may limit it some). But I have taken more dove, ducks, rabbits, quail, varmints, and geese (and clays) than I can count. Nothing has ever broke on it, but the front forearm split about an inch - as is apparently fairly common with that model gun. I don't use mine much any more since I bought a SBE a few years ago, but love it for quail and woodcock. I can recall it jamming twice in all that time and it was dirty....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your input, it will greatly help in my decision making. [;)]

I'm looking at both the Remington and Winchester for now.

I've already got a Remington 870 Wingmaster, but it's a pump. I like the idea of a semi-auto, so that's next.

I plan on using it for trap shooting as well as the occasional trip into Grizzly country. My 44 Magnum is great for a Grizzly sidearm, but I'll feel better with the shotgun/slugs as well. [:D]
  • Options
    redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Remington 1100 or 11-87...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update- got what I wanted. Went with the Remington 1100 instead of the Winchester. [;)]

My new toy... [:D][:D][:D][:D]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265388268