In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1969 colt

backcountryguybackcountryguy Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
1969 colt ,22 golden spike pistol. Railroad commerative edition.
in great condition, wondering what value would be.[img][/img]coltg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Great Condition" don't cut it. Has to be NIB, untouched, unturned, with all original packing and documentation. To maintain it's collectors value as a commemorative. I kid you not, I have seen guys who collect commemoratives going over them with a magnifying glass looking for the slightest imperfection or handling mark.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am thinking about buying from someone. gun has never been fired and also has receipt from when first purchased. they are asking $800
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This one was listed for months with a "Buy it now" for $600 and never got one bid:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=258578616

pix982370729.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help guys. now i have a better idea of what to do. [:)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you like guns because they are fun to shoot Then a Commemrative one is the worst item you can buy. one shot and value goes to 50 % .if you like guns because you want to put them in a sealed glass case never to be touched then you can't go wrong with this one except it is about $300.00 over what it is worth [V]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Frontier Scout is a really well made gun, & in demand; it's a great plinker or trail gun.

In any condition < what rufe-snow describes, it would likely sell in the $400-500 range. Wait & see, the seller may realize that he has to adjust his asking price down to the market price.

Neal
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by backcountryguy
    i am thinking about buying from someone. gun has never been fired and also has receipt from when first purchased. they are asking $800

"Never been fired" is one thing, cylinder turning is another. Is there a fine line on the cylinder where it has been turned? As Rufe pointed out, it has to be PERFECT to get top money....and his $800 price is about $300 above what PERFECT Colt .22 boxed comm's are bringing in this down market. I have a dozen or so of them (Alamo, WV, Dakota, Maine..etc) and follow them closely. If it has ANY mark on it (and I would go over it with a glass before buying) I would not offer more than $400 and use it as a shooter. Sadly, if it is PERFECT it has to become a "safe queen" to keep its value. That is the Comm game! Good luck[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks again, and merry christmas everyone.[:)]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by backcountryguy
    thanks again, and merry christmas everyone.[:)]

I agree with the above valuations and they've stayed in that range for the past 10 years or so. Obviously, not a strong investment.

Merry Christmas to you as well! [:)]