In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22lr in 22mag revolver?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Went shooting with a friend & he had his ruger single six. We were shooting 22lr & I happened to notice he had the 22mag cylinder in it instead of the 22lr. We switched, but would it have hurt anything if we didn't catch it?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The cases would have split.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    hurt anything ?? just an eye maybe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Spider7115 Posted - 12/24/2011 : 08:26:42 AM

We looked at the 6 rounds fired none had any damage or splits.

quote:USN_Airdale Posted - 12/24/2011 : 08:26:58 AM

We always wear eye & ear protection even with 22's.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    quote:Spider7115 Posted - 12/24/2011 : 08:26:42 AM

We looked at the 6 rounds fired none had any damage or splits.

quote:USN_Airdale Posted - 12/24/2011 : 08:26:58 AM

We always wear eye & ear protection even with 22's.

One of the top 10 rules of firearm safety...Always use the ammunition for which your firearm is marked for. I believe that 22 WMR cylinder is not marked "and 22LR". It is made that way for a reason. A smart shooter stands by this rule.

Best

EDIT 1

D@D,

Better the woodshed, than the Emergency Room.

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The diameter of the case is larger on the 22 Mag . So a 22 long rifle cartridge will be able to slide into a 22 mag cylinder but not the other way around . A cartridge case is designed to enlarge from internal pressure when fired to seal the chamber from high pressure of the burning gun powder. Two things with bad results can happen when a cartridge is the improper one and too small . #1 the case can split and #2 gas pressure can leak past the cartridge case. In a 22 Rimfire it most likely will not be a dangerous result but surely not recommended .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep & I take full blame for it has I should have looked, we do take firearm safety seriously. Just glad no one was injured & the mistake was caught early. Damn I feel like pa just took me out to the woodshed.
  • Options
    kevind6kevind6 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Split cases is the normal result. The fact you never had them only tells me the ammo you were using had soft enough cases that were able to expand without cracking.

In the late 70's I bought a cheap Italian made .22LR/.22Mag revolver for $36.00. The .22LR cylinder had been bored too deeply where the rim of the cartridge fit into the cylinder which made misfires frequent. I wouldn't recommend this, but rather than return it to the store as I should have, I just used the magnum cylinder for both .22LR and .22Mag. I know I shot several thousand .22LR rounds through it this way. A few years later the pistol was stolen out of my truck. After that, I always kept my truck locked in case they tried to bring it back...
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kevind6
    Split cases is the normal result. The fact you never had them only tells me the ammo you were using had soft enough cases that were able to expand without cracking.

In the late 70's I bought a cheap Italian made .22LR/.22Mag revolver for $36.00. The .22LR cylinder had been bored too deeply where the rim of the cartridge fit into the cylinder which made misfires frequent. I wouldn't recommend this, but rather than return it to the store as I should have, I just used the magnum cylinder for both .22LR and .22Mag. I know I shot several thousand .22LR rounds through it this way. A few years later the pistol was stolen out of my truck. After that, I always kept my truck locked in case they tried to bring it back...

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger I shot 22 short,long and long rifle out of a Mossberg 22 mag rifle to see what would happen.I had to use a cleaning rod to get the spent 22 short cases out,but nothing bad happened.I also shot 3 inch 12 gauge shells out of a 2-3/4 chambered 870.Nothing bad happened with that either but there was probably a lot of luck involved.Now that I am an old fart I would never,nor recommend anyone else,to do such stupid things.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    My brother and I did it for years
    as youngsters. A case would split
    now and then but no harm otherwise.
    As far as accuracy, we never even
    thought of it.

Merry christmas to all.