In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corrisive ammo

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
How soon do need to clean your rifle after shooting ammo with a corrosive primer?
A couple of hours? a day? a couple of days?
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As soon as possible. The residue isn't the problem - its the residue mixed with humidity.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The sooner the better You don't want to wait a couple of days the damper it is the sooner you need to clean. I have heard that a spritz of Windex down the bore will help prevent the barrel piting at least for a short time.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't shoot corrosive ammunition but I do shoot black powder cartridges. I clean on the range before going home. Why wait? It doesn't take long to run a wet patch, a couple dry patches, and an oily patch down the barrel and to wipe the action with a damp cloth, then oily.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend wants me to buy some ammo for his AK-47 that I talked him into and I don't know how often he cleans his rifles.
    I was thinking about buying some of this because of the brass case.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76239Yugo

I clean mine as soon as I get home.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Understanding what is the corrosive part is important. The primer creates salts that deposit on the metal of the bore and where the smoke from firing may contact. I have sprayed WD-40 down a bore that was fired with a lot of corrosive 8MM Mauser Ammo. It sat for DAYS in the summer heat and humidity before I cleaned it. I did this "test" on purpose to see if WD-40 would keep the water displaced. It worked there was no rust. I did keep an eye on it every day looking for rust, there was none.

I do not recommend leaving a gun un-cleaned for any period of time that had corrosive ammo fired in it. However, I would not let my steak dinner get cold and the beer warm to rush into cleaning it.

If you shoot corrosive primed ammo head home and clean the gun before you go to bed for the night, there is NO POSSIBLE harm from shooting it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean as soon as possible after shooting. Windex, even water from a canteen will work to neutralize the corrosive residue left after firing. Some of the foreign military ammo I used in the past was horribly corrosive, i.e. French & Czech. Firing conventional noncorrsive after shooting the corrosive stuff did no good at all, don't kid yourself. Clean the barrel if you want to prevent rust and pitting.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you are in a dry climate then you can hold off for a day or so. If we are talking about regions with high levels of humidity then you had best get at the cleaning pretty darned quick because the "rust clock" is ticking. Either get a hold of some of the old USGI bore cleaner (it stinks to high heaven but it works great) or pour in plenty of plain old water. WD-40 prevents rust because it displaces water/moisture but it will not neutralize the salts in the priming compound so at some point you are still going to need to properly clean the rifle.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to clean after I am done shooting but I would think no longer than the next day. I like Windex with Vinigar for my black powder guns. Usualy use the old GI bore cleaner on my military guns but the Windex with Vinigar would work just fine. I always like to clean well and then come back again and do a once over and then oil will. Like CLP Collector, supposed to be good for 5 years.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    My friend wants me to buy some ammo for his AK-47 that I talked him into and I don't know how often he cleans his rifles.
    I was thinking about buying some of this because of the brass case.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76239Yugo

I clean mine as soon as I get home.

I've run a lot of this through the AKs and SKS. Windex wash, dry and oil, and never an issue.

You know these are Berdan primed cases, don't you? My understanding is that while reloading can be done, it is a lot more trouble and expense than it is worth.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    metermanmeterman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do it quickly, buddy (bore cleaning.) My buddy shot some of that old surplus Romanian 8mm in one of those beautiful Mitchell Mausers on a Saturday. Tuesday he showed me the rifle. The bore was pitted already. He had failed to clean it.[:(]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    After the last shot of the day.