In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 64a

bflygare@lkdllink.netbflygare@lkdllink.net Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Why does the recievers on the winchester 64A's freckle and what can be done to remove or prevent problem and is this reciever a alloy material, it seems to be different than other 64's or 94's so what kind of toucn up can be done Thanks Brian

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bert H or Carto will give you the correct answer but today they might be busy. I suspect the frame is like some of the frames of post 1964 Winchester model 94's they were not forged steel but rather made from powdered steel/iron heated and put under great pressure. This process was started as a way to reduce Cost [V] but it would not take normal bluing [:(!]. I think Winchester did a Flash plating and then Blued These receivers and I don"t think you can do anything to make them last longer or refinish like original. I might be all wet and thinking about the model 64A as a post 1964 gun if not then Flaking of Bluing is something you just have to live with I have seen this on many blued pistols not from wear but rather a result of original bluing being less the perfect[:(]in metal prep.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 64A was manufactured for just two-years (1972 & 1973). The receiver frame was made with sintered steel, as were all of the post-1963 Model 94s up through the very late 1970s.

The bluing formula used by Winchester did not adhere very well, and the guns quickly ended up looking like just like what you describe on your Model 64A, especially if they have been handled much.

There is not much that you can do to touch them up.