In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 94ae lever stuck

steaksteak Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
My 94ae has had less than a box of ammo fired through it.
I loaned it to a neighbor last week. He brought it back saying as he cycled the action the lever became tight and would not return to battery. There is/was no ammunition in the rifle..
Any thoughts as to the reason that this happened and solution is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be the screw on the mag gate or one of the cartridge guides is loose. Might be a round under the lifter. They aren't all that hard to take apart to figure it out. Don't force the lever shut.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Could be the screw on the mag gate or one of the cartridge guides is loose. Might be a round under the lifter. They aren't all that hard to take apart to figure it out. Don't force the lever shut.

+1 try tightening all the mag, and receiver screws first. If no help then look internal.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why I never lend guns out. [:(!] What caliber is it by the way? Is there a chance the wrong caliber ammo was used in the rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    An oversight on my part not mentioning that tbe rifle is in. 44mag. There is no ammunition in the rifle.
    I will start by ensuring that all screws are tight. If that does not solve the problem then onto disassembly.
    Thanks
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try loosening the screw that keeps the bolt in, even take it out but don't 'open' the action anymore, the bolt will come way back and a 94 is complicated.
    That screw has a big head and is on the left side of the action. Next try to close the action with the screw loose or out. If you do take it out,FYI, that screw should have a 'nipple' point on it.
    You never know what happened..............
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH!
    Maybe 1 or more of the scope mount screws is screwed in too far........check them as well.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st thing I"d do is remove the mag tube spring and follower to make sure no inocrrect round,or any round,is hiding in there.Loosening all the screws a turn or 2 would be a good idea as others have saaid.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a winchester lever in 444 marlin...ended up with one in chamber, one in lifter, one under lifter....reloads all under sammi specs.....only shell that would work were factory 265 loads...apparently duplicating factory exactly was an issue...now my marlin 444 would eat all reloads within specs no problemo....winnie got sold
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Deerhide. I thought that too . A friend had an old style Ruger in. 44 that would not cycle. The culprit was an over-length mount screw.
    I removed the scope and mounts. No effect.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the pin that holds the lever into the bolt could possibly have worked it's way out,but not likely.you might pull that screw and see if it's somehow worked its' way over a smidge.As I say,not likely,the screw is suposed to keep it in place as I recall