In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser Book

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone suggest a couple of good Mauser books for a collector. Grandfather has several and I'd like to pick him up a nice one.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the basic reference books for Mauser military rifles, is "Mauser Military Rifles of the World", 4th edition, by Robert Ball.

Most of the Mauser's U.S. collectors have access to are covered. Commercial Mauser's are few and far between as compared to the military ones.

A more general text covering all Mauser's, is "Bolt Action Rifles" 4th edition by van Zwoll and de Haas.
  • Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Gewehr 98 and Kar.98 by Dr. Storz is by far the best on the first German model
    Law's Backbone of the Wehrmacht, Vol I and II are outstanding for the K98k.

John Walter has about three different ones out.
    My first and one of the best was Lud Olsens already mentioned.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by azpowerwagon
    Also, Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson.

If you have Lud Olsen's book along with "Backbone" you will have about all you will need. Ball's books are good for the photos and the text, but overlap Lud's book. I met Lud once and he signed my copy of his book! What a great guy he was!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1988z01,

These are two of the 'newer' classic books about Mauser rifles. Better, in-country research from original records and people who worked for Mauser.

1) Mauser: Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles--$90.00

by Jon Speed, Walter Schmid and Reiner Herrman. 508 pages, 983 illustrations, 114 in color.

http://www.germanguns.com/books/B061.html

2) The Mauser Archive---$89.95

by Jon Speed
    Deluxe First Edition, 2007
    576 pages, 870 illustrations

http://www.collectorgrade.com/bookshelf5.html

Best.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!

I knew it was going to be around $100, but I wanted to make sure it was good money spent.

Merry Christmas to you all!