In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 721 barrel length

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
While looking up something else in the 1961 Stoegers, I noticed they listed .270 and .30/06 barrels as 22" and .300 H&H as 24". My early 50's rifles are 24" and 26" as listed in Stoegers as late as 1960. Has anybody run across short barreled 721's?

EDIT: All of my 721's and 722's are early to mid 1950's except the .222 Remington Magnum which has a barrel date of 1961. That one does, in fact, have a 24" barrel as listed in the 1961 Stoegers while the 1960 Stoegers (as well as earlier issues) indicates a 26". Since they brought out the 700 in 1962 with 2" shorter barrels, they probably made a running change. Maybe I'll have to start collecting late 721/722's with the shorter barrels! That ought to narrow it down.

EDIT II: I just dug out that .222 Rem Mag and it does not have that barrel "lump" for the rear sight, either, that was typical of the 721/722. Instead, it has 2 screw holes quite close together (it came to me without a rear sight). Funny that I never noticed that before--I've owned this rifle for quite a while. I'm going to keep a look out for others in that configuration. And, sandwarrior, I've never seen a 20" 722! But 700 carbines are not extremely rare--are you sure that was not a 700?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

All the 721's I've seen were 24". Now, I have seen both 20" and 24" barrels for 722's.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

The 721's that I've owned and have seen all had the longer barrels but that doesn't mean that the short barrels weren't available also. I just haven't seen them.

It's possible to locate some information on the Remington website which might have the designations and lengths called out separately but I don't know for sure. They have culled some of the best information since the big buyout a while back.

Best.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 721 in 30-06 that has a carbine length barrel. It is not a cut-down since the front sight ramp is integral to the barrel. Since they are very uncommon, I thought it may have been a special custom shop order.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 721 .257 Roberts has a 24" bbl abd the intregal lump where the rear sight would be (Has a scope and a dovetail filler where the rear sight would be)
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Riomouse911:

Is your rifle a 721 or 722? I thought that 257 Roberts were only made in 722s.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cyberly , your barrel may have been shortened ! The front sight ramp is soldered to the barrel and can be removed and reinstalled without leaving any tracks . I have done this several times to 760s (same system)