In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3/4" rimfire scopes

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Going to refinish and blue an old .22 , does anybody still make a 3/4 tube scope anymore? I believe the gun would just look better with one, guess I can check the auctions.

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    Going to refinish and blue an old .22 , does anybody still make a 3/4 tube scope anymore? I believe the gun would just look better with one, guess I can check the auctions.

The current 3/4" scopes are plastic and cheaply made. I have a fair amount of older 22s and buying vintage 3/4" scopes is something I do fairly often. Last year I bought an old JC Higgins Model 30 with not a scratch or wear mark on it, just grabbed a JC Higgins brand scope with brass fittings for a great match up.

The older Weavers and JC Higgins brands work very well and are, I think, a much better fit for an older rifle. You can buy them and period correct mounts on line, but you have to be careful that the optics are clear or can be cleaned. Buying at a gun show is another good way to find one and you can examine the scope up close.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been several threads/topic on here of the such about 3/4 inch tube scopes. When I say several, I also mean recently within the past 3-4 months. Do a search and look them up.

Best

EDIT 1

There are also 3/4" scopes from Malcom, for the replica black powder cartridge rifles.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if you could luck out and find a older 3/4 tube redfield 4x that they made that will take the recoil of a large bore,it would make you a fine .22 scope. i have one on a rem. 581 left hand .22 and its a very nice combo. eastbank.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3/4" tube scopes by various makers turn up at just about every gun show. Many can be had for $40 or under. If you come up empty, I think I have a few around here.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I have always bought mine on e-bay.
  • Options
    1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Mossebrg 140K .22 Bolt action rifle with the original 3/4" scope (Weaver I think) For an old gun it is a tack driver. You can't beat an old fine crosshair 3/4" scope!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    My first scoped 22 rifle had a 3/4 inch steel tube. The crosshairs actually moved inside the scope tube and so for the crossheads to be centered on the point the rifle shot the bullet to, the crosshairs were a little off center. Didn't really bother me as it was much better than iron sights at 75 yards or so.