In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun socks

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
found some gun socks/sleeves lightweight poyester/acrylic with foam liner and tie string for $2 each and wondered if there was some type (acid free food gradewhatever???) of silicone spray that i could coat inside with that was OK for guns...thanks

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only $2? Made in China, I would guess. The "foam liner" scares me; you won't know until it breaks down & stains your guns that it isn't good quality foam.

Cabela's, Dillon, Brownells, & other sell gun socks made specifically for gun storage that have proven safe over the years.

There are 2 schools of thought about silicone & gun socks. You can buy silicone impregnated socks, & plain socks. My thought is, the sock just keeps a gun safe from scuffs & scrapes, the Goldenrod or dessicant in your safe keeps the gun safe from moisture. I don't see what value silicone is, especially since socks are an open weave, &, besides, silicone does nothing to repel moisture unless it actually covers an object.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek,

Neal has hit the two main points right on the head and I simply want to reinforce them with you.

The foam in cheap socks like this is known to damage firearms when used for storage. Short trips to the range and back then removed, shouldn't be a problem but nothing longer.

Silicone is what has been stated, there is no reason to spray it on a sock because you need to coat the firearm completely.

Inexpensive these days is a blessing but in this case it's not worthwhile.

Best.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To expand on what Neal and nononsense said, there's only one grade of foam that won't damage your firearm's finish, and it's a "medical" grade foam used to pack precision medical instruments. If a gun sock used it, it would be a $100 gun sock.
    Even the best hard cases you can buy, use a foam liner that will eventually damage your gun if stored in it long enough.
    I've found this out the hard way, and expensive way![:(!]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    says made in the USA but thanks for points on foam
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone says cheap guncases will damage guns. Been using $3 gunshow cases for 20+ years for long term storage and no problems yet.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proofs in the puddin...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun case with egg crate foams left splotches corresponding to the foam on the barrel of a rifle of mine. After several months they faded, but I can imagine a longer stint in the case might have left them permanent. Now if I must use a foam lined case I put a Bore Store over the rifle or hand gun first.
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Gun case with egg crate foams left splotches corresponding to the foam on the barrel of a rifle of mine. After several months they faded, but I can imagine a longer stint in the case might have left them permanent. Now if I must use a foam lined case I put a Bore Store over the rifle or hand gun first.
    Had a metal gun cabinet with foam lined barrel rests, the foam turned to mush and left a light colored ring around the barrels. Foam ---No Good.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, not everyone says, at all:

"...gun socks/sleeves lightweight poyester/acrylic with foam liner..."

Many of these opinionated posts will deal in generalities and we have all come to expect that there will always be an exception(s).

We were specifically responding to the inexpensive FOAM cases that we have had personal experience with. We cannot possibly test, try and observe EVERY case or combination of materials in order to give definitive proof to cover every statement that we might make. We are speaking in generalities that we can make based on our first hand experiences.

If you have found some inexpensive cases that work without damaging the wood finish or the metal on your firearms, that's terrific! I hope you bought a ton of them from the same lot as the next lot may be the downfall of the firearms stored in them. Roll the dice and take a chance.

I'm always happy to learn that some things are still made in the USA. Just be aware that lawyers often write the disclaimers for this stuff which can be interpreted as 'assemble in the USA from foreign made materials'. This is why we try to point out the obvious problems encountered by fellow shooters.

Best.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also would shy away from foam. If nothing else, it will age & disintegrate and make a mess. I get mine from Brownell (uncoated) and use them just to protect from bumps & bruises moving in & out from the safes. Yeah I need another!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.