In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1300 rifled deer barrel question

SuaspontaSuasponta Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a Winchester 1300 12ga. shotgun with a rifled deer barrel on it. Is it practical to use this rifle barrel for home defense shooting 00 buck?

Will the spread from the barrel rifling firing 00 buck be too wide of a spread to be effective at close range? And will the 00 buck ruin the rifling on the barrel by doing so?

Comments

• Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting in a rifled barrel will not hurt the rifling, it will lead them up. You will not get decent grouping with the rifling, you can always try and see what happens on the range.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second CS121's advice, about patterning the Winchester at a range. Years ago I shot a 20" Rossi Coach Gun at a range with modern Winchester Mark V Buck Shot loads. These have the large size lead shot loaded in a plastic shot cup, buffered with white plastic powder. It was quite disappointing to me as there was very little dispersion in 20/30 feet, the normal range for in home personal protection. You would have to consciously aim the shotgun, not just point it in the general direction of the bad guy to assure a hit.

If your going to use Buck Shot loaded in a shot cup with plastic buffer powder, I don't see it spreading much at close range. The shot cup will also protect the rifling from lead fouling, IMHO.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some #4 Buck. Lots more pellets.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch your cheek too. I sold a 1300 because it had the worst recoil of any shotgun I have ever fired. Bruised my cheek each and every time I shot it.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Watch your cheek too. I sold a 1300 because it had the worst recoil of any shotgun I have ever fired. Bruised my cheek each and every time I shot it.

that is only cause you had WAY to much heel in it i bet
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home defense? I broke the shoulder all to hell and killed stone dead a 125 pound doe deer with #6 birdshot at about 18 yards.............how big is your house?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be good to go...
    +1 on the #4 buckshot.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    That rifled bore is likely worth more than a regular smooth bore. SOOO why not sell off the rifled bore and pick up an IC short barrel designed for the intended use.

Just a thought.