In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

smith and wesson 1500

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
im considering a S&W 1500 wtih a bushnell 6X and a composite stock. Is it worth the 300 asked and what are the recommended reloads for a 338 win

Comments

• Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I have a .308 S&W model 1500 havent used it yet wondered if anyone knows who really made the rifle? do they have a good reputation and is there anything I should be prepared to fix
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Japanese firm of Howa made the rifles for S & W. This was many years ago, as S & W got out of the long gun business in the mid 80's. Howa makes quality rifles, they have been sold on the U.S. markets for many years now.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    just a word on Howa quality, they manufacture the Weatherby Vangard
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a 1500 .223. It is a tack driver. I believe that he glass bedded the stock but other than that it is stock. It was made by Howa like rufe-snow indicated. Quite a few custom guns made on Howa actions.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i ditto the above. howa, really good for the money, probably made around 1980ish
  • Options
    greatbeargreatbear Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I have a .308 S&W model 1500 havent used it yet wondered if anyone knows who really made the rifle? do they have a good reputation and is there anything I should be prepared to fix

is this a 1500 deluxe without sights and are yoy interested in selling it,or do you know someone with another for sale.i have a 7mm,30-06 and 300 in this rifle.am currently looking for a .308.thanks ron
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howa made these rifles for S&W, Weatherby, and Mossberg, and are currently being marketed here is th USA, under the HOWA name brand. They are excellent rifles for the money,and with a little tweaking, can be made into an extreme tack driver.

Best
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by greatbear
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

is this a 1500 deluxe without sights and are yoy interested in selling it,or do you know someone with another for sale.i have a 7mm,30-06 and 300 in this rifle.am currently looking for a .308.thanks ron

Offers to buy are not allowed.
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have said these were made by Howa and are a great rifle. I scored one for a deal years ago in 30.06; I have bought 5 or 6 quality name bolt action rifles ($400-700 range) since and none will out shoot the 1500. Smooth and accurate, a little high maintenance to keep the finish nice would be the only negative I can offer on this rifle.

Bottom line: It is a keeper!