In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber .22 ejection problem

10x10010x100 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hope some of the experts here can help.
[?][?]
I have a new Kimber .22 target pistol, (aluminum??) frame.
Using standard velocity ammo a fired case often doesn't eject - not a stovepipe, the case is pulled out of the chamber but stays in the breech & jams the next round.

Is this:(a) A problem that will go away after the action "wears in", (b) pistol needs high velocity ammo (c) manufacturing defect?

Thanks for the help.

10x100

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't use standard velocity ammo in it untill it is broke in. Try some high velocity ammo. After it is broke in it might function OK with standard velocity.
    I only shoot HV stuff in my Kimber conversion 1911.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had several "conversion units"; Marvel, Colt and Ceiner. All proved to be very persnickety about what they would and wouldn't digest without difficulty. Your problem may improve with time.
    Or it may not.
    Good luck,
    and Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The conversion units except the Service model Colt are straight BLOW BACK operation . Thus there is a very small window in RECOIL IMPULSE
    that will fully cycle the slide without beating the slide and frame up. Factory guns do not normally come with a spring light enough to work with Standard velocity ammo. Two major things that can be changed is #1 making the slide lighter "not practical" and #2 changing the weight of the recoil spring. "CALL BROWNELL'S tech department..Standard velocity 22 Rimfire will shoot smaller groups in 99% of match pistols and Rifles . Sadly to say your KIMBER may be a very good Plinker however it will never be a Match grade BULLS-EYE pistol, as it does not lock the barrel to the frame like the Marvel, Kart, Day, and a few others . I suggest use High Velocity ammo.
    EDITYES I am aware this is a complete unit NOT A CONVERSION UNIThowever Kimber does not tool up to make a unique frame and top half it is a 45acp frame with a conversion unit installed and sold as a pistol.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of those conversion units are designed for High Velocity loads. Quite frequently they suggest to use the CCI Mini Mag's in the manual.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:By the way, this is a .22, not a conversion for a .45.

I do understand that, but I am banking, that you could put a 45 upper on that frame. I don't see kimber making two different frames, and two different uppers, just for a 22 and 22 conversion unit.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try HV. By the way, this is a .22, not a conversion for a .45. I have the Ciener conversion for my AR (4 years old) and it works very well.

Happy Holidays to all GBers.

10x100
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PerryShooter,

If the Kimber is a "plinker", it definitely matches my 67 y.o. plinker eyes. I'm happy to keep in the black at 25 yds. with .38 and .45. 100 yds+ now needs scopes - iron sights are a little too much out of focus. My main interest now is having fun and teaching grandkids to shoot.

Thanks for your comments.

10x100
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Most of those conversion units are designed for High Velocity loads. Quite frequently they suggest to use the CCI Mini Mag's in the manual.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:By the way, this is a .22, not a conversion for a .45.

I do understand that, but I am banking, that you could put a 45 upper on that frame. I don't see kimber making two different frames, and two different uppers, just for a 22 and 22 conversion unit.

Best

The Kimber 22 frame is not made for any other upper to work on it. It is dedicated to the upper it comes with.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Page 12 of the manual:

"Use only high quality .22 ammunition. We do
    not suggest using sub-soonic ammunition."

I have been told by several owners that theirs will only cycle HV ammo. There is no spring weight listed, and at times, that may not fix the issue. Walther has a similar problem with their SP-22 target series, great gun, but can't use Std. Vel. even with stoning and a spring change.

And no, it is not close to a Bullseye gun, just a great looking plinker.

Best of luck.